No announcement yet.

Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly I can only vote once. Well and I don't want to use fake accounts to raise votes. But there are other Linux related things to vote on, I'll check that.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
      We will see, hopefully you are correct. But the things that TheEnigmaticT in the thread about Linux support in their forums is not making me optimistic
      Yes, sadly I think the same way.

Originally posted by FutureSuture
      GOG, being an online computer game retailer that firmly believes in selling games without Digital Rights Management (DRM) and without regional pricing (1? ≠ 1$), among other things, would in my opinion make a great addition to gaming on Linux
      The fact could even be worse that one could initially imagine.
      If Steam remains the unique digital distribuion store, it will affect other gaming developments that otherwise would be released DRM Free.

I mean, for example, games been ported by Icculus. You buy the Windows version, and then you download the installer at the Icculus repository. A DRM free executable.
      But if developers bypass that option and choose Steam, then no DRM free version avaliable for us.

Until now Linux have had few avaliable titles, we know. But Steam and his dominant market position, colud make impossible Linux gaming outside it. And this also means impossible DRM Free Linux gaming.

Don't like Steam.

Comment

Don't 99% of their games already run on linux via dosbox? All they'd have to do is release them in their original format instead of a bundled dosbox version, ta-daa

Comment

This request has now surpassed 10 000 votes! Good job, Linux community, and keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Joystiq
            While The Witcher 3 intends to make the best out each new console's content ownership policies, Iwiński hopes players will remain cognizant of the game's full breadth of supported platforms. "There's one important comment I'd like to make. When we announced [The Witcher 3] at the Microsoft conference, we saw a lot of comments on the internet. 'Hey, you should not release the game on Xbox One.' I think, really, that's not fair to a lot of gamers who choose Xbox One as a platform. We strongly believe in the freedom of choice, and not releasing the game on any of the platforms would be a disadvantage.
            The above is only an excerpt. Here's the source.

I find that quote to be pretty amusing when considering what this thread is trying to achieve and what GOG is all about with regard to DRM.

Comment

I expect there to be lots of amusing anecdotes to come regarding GOG's lacking Linux support.

Comment

GOG are giving away Torchlight for the next 48 hours. GOG at present do not support Linux as a platform by selling games for it but that does not mean that they will not sell games for Linux in the future. As GOG support Mac OS, the next obvious step would be to support Linux, so support for our favourite operating system can't be that far in the future. To prepare for that inevitable Linux launch, you can pick up Torchlight free of charge and free of DRM from GOG. As the game has a Linux client already in place, it will certainly be uploaded to GOG once they start supporting Linux. Why not vote on one of these while you're at it?

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                  GOG are giving away Torchlight for the next 48 hours. GOG at present do not support Linux as a platform by selling games for it but that does not mean that they will not sell games for Linux in the future. As GOG support Mac OS, the next obvious step would be to support Linux, so support for our favourite operating system can't be that far in the future. To prepare for that inevitable Linux launch, you can pick up Torchlight free of charge and free of DRM from GOG. As the game has a Linux client already in place, it will certainly be uploaded to GOG once they start supporting Linux. Why not vote on one of these while you're at it?
                  Why do you say it is inevitable? With all their whining about distribution fragmentation, installers and packages and what not and their idea of having to support any and all distributions(and all versions of said distributions) out there or none at all, a GOG employee even mistaking FreeBSD for a Linux distribution at one point, I would rather think that GOG continuing to not support Linux is much more likely.

Edit:

I should add that currently there isn't even a single hint that GOG is coming to Linux. Also when people try to address their arguments they keep moving the goalposts. The argumentative burden they need the Linux community carry in order to convince them of adding some kind of Linux support is literally impossible to meet.

I would be more flabergasted if GOG announced Linux suppor than if Microsoft announced that all their customer software was coming to Linux. MS atleast as SOME Linux support currently and there ARE indications of that support continuing and increasing(atleast somewhat). There are literally zero indications of GOG coming to Linux and plenty of indications taht they won't come to Linux.
                  Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 18 June 2013, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                    Why do you say it is inevitable? With all their whining about distribution fragmentation, installers and packages and what not and their idea of having to support any and all distributions(and all versions of said distributions) out there or none at all, a GOG employee even mistaking FreeBSD for a Linux distribution at one point, I would rather think that GOG continuing to not support Linux is much more likely.

Edit:

I should add that currently there isn't even a single hint that GOG is coming to Linux. Also when people try to address their arguments they keep moving the goalposts. The argumentative burden they need the Linux community carry in order to convince them of adding some kind of Linux support is literally impossible to meet.

I would be more flabergasted if GOG announced Linux suppor than if Microsoft announced that all their customer software was coming to Linux. MS atleast as SOME Linux support currently and there ARE indications of that support continuing and increasing(atleast somewhat). There are literally zero indications of GOG coming to Linux and plenty of indications taht they won't come to Linux.
                    That infamous post from a GOG employee was over a year ago with nothing newsworthy since. Markets change and businesses adapt. We now have Steam on Linux and much more support coming our way than ever before, do we not? I do very much agree with you that GOG are rather irritating when it comes to the subject of Linux, but it's inevitable that Linux support is coming i.e. it's not a question of if, but when? I myself just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Comment

But what is inevitable about it?

Edit:

Look at that post you are linking the GOG employee(otherwise a very awesome guy in every way). He is using running Fallout on a Raspberry Pi as scare scenario. So in other words, in order to support Linux, GOG would have to find a way to support the Raspberry Pi. That is a crazy demand.
                      Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 18 June 2013, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X