Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Xfce 4.10 Desktop Feature Release

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nschermer View Post
    You are comparing 2 different libraries: if you compare libgtk-x11-2.0.so (gtk2) and libgtk-3.so (gtk3) you'll see there is not much difference in size. Same for the 2 gdk libraries (in fact there is the gtk3 version 30% smaller). Nonetheless this says nothing, the library size has no relation to the actual memory usage.
    I compared the right libraries, just cut the names short for the post:

    -rwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1000 455K 2012-04-29 15:12 libgdk-3.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1000 4,3M 2012-04-29 15:12 libgtk-3.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1000 595K 2012-04-29 15:13 libgdk-x11-2.0.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1000 3,8M 2012-04-29 15:13 libgtk-x11-2.0.so

    Oops, mixed the gdk ones around, sorry about that. Gdk3 is smaller.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    They DO bugfix releases, they just doesn't bump it to the DE version number, but to the specific component itself.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Does anyone know will this get into 12.04's backports? And if not - a PPA?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nschermer View Post
    Just to inform: Xfce has a different release model then KDE and GNOME (and probably any other desktops). Because the development team is small (3 active developers), we decided that making stable release consumes too much time. So instead we make 1 stable release each year (time permitting, so 4.10 was ~4 months late), containing libxfce4uti-4.10.0, thunar-1.4.0 etcetc..
    After that we only make stable releases of individual packages: so the latest Xfce 4.8 versions are xfce4-dev-tools-4.8.0 (same as in the 4.8 bulk release), xfce4-panel-4.8.6 (6 stable releases after 4.8.0 which was in the 4.8 release), xfce4-settings-4.8.3 (3 releases after 4.8) etcetc.
    Your “different release model” seems to include the complete lack of any public news: http://www.xfce.org/feed?lang=en says absolutely nothing about bugfixed component releases.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Your “different release model” seems to include the complete lack of any public news: http://www.xfce.org/feed?lang=en says absolutely nothing about bugfixed component releases.
    Of course. That news feed is for Xfce as a whole. If you want to see the bugfix for a component ( like Thunar) you have to read the news/changelog for that specific component like:

    http://archive.xfce.org/feeds/project/thunar

    BTW anyone know of any live distro that has Xfce 4.10? I want to test it but not spend my time compiling nor actually have installed locally.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    .ca
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nschermer View Post
    Just to inform: Xfce has a different release model then KDE and GNOME (and probably any other desktops). Because the development team is small (3 active developers), we decided that making stable release consumes too much time. So instead we make 1 stable release each year (time permitting, so 4.10 was ~4 months late), containing libxfce4uti-4.10.0, thunar-1.4.0 etcetc..
    After that we only make stable releases of individual packages: so the latest Xfce 4.8 versions are xfce4-dev-tools-4.8.0 (same as in the 4.8 bulk release), xfce4-panel-4.8.6 (6 stable releases after 4.8.0 which was in the 4.8 release), xfce4-settings-4.8.3 (3 releases after 4.8) etcetc.
    That's why we like it!
    A no-nonsense, no version-number-bonanza, no break-shit-at-all-cost development model.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    Of course. That news feed is for Xfce as a whole. If you want to see the bugfix for a component ( like Thunar) you have to read the news/changelog for that specific component
    If it's actually Xfce’s attitude towards communication that users/packagers need to hunt for bugfixed components themselves, it is no surprise that Xfce only has three developers. The sense of progress also attracts new contributors.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    69

    Default

    I really like this release. I see lots of BeOS/AmigaOS influences here.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    980

    Default

    This sounds nice, but I hope there are fixes for these problems from 4.8, as they are highly annoying:

    1. Icons not staying in position on the desktop when a game or something changes the screen resolution.
    2. We have had issues mounting secondary hard drives and other devices (which is not a problem in Gnome).
    3. The panels often hang on top of programs displaying things in fullscreen (such as VLC).
    4. It needs a proper volume knob like the one in Gnome and LXDE.

    There are some other things I could mention, such as there being no tabs in Thunar (though I read that this is a deliberate move), no file search or connect to server functionality in Thunar (I have to use Catfish and Gigolo, respectively), and not being able to turn off the icons being displayed on my secondary screen (though for the most part I am just happy it is working with Zaphod Mode).

    I am not trying to be down on Xfce here, as it is some really nice things about it - it has the best compositor I have ever used and it is fairly flexible. I would just like at least some of these things to be addressed. Now, anyone know where I actually should be posting this as to make a difference?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Now, anyone know where I actually should be posting this as to make a difference?
    Try their bugzilla:

    https://bugzilla.xfce.org/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •