Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.10 Desktop Feature Release

Phoronix: Xfce 4.10 Desktop Feature Release

The Xfce project on Saturday afternoon released Xfce 4.10 as the first major Xfce desktop feature release in about sixteen months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

damn 16 months? lxde updates more frequently than that and its a much smaller project. but, i think i'd still be interested in trying xfce after not trying it for maybe 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      damn 16 months? lxde updates more frequently than that and its a much smaller project. but, i think i'd still be interested in trying xfce after not trying it for maybe 3 years.
      Crap, I follow both git repos, and LXDE doesn't get a meaningful commit (with meaningful I mean anything but translations) in months, while several subprojects of XFCE get them in a daily basis.
      How many new features did LXDE commited last year? The only one I can think of is getting back the tree view in PCManFM.
      Also, LXDE didn't achieve even their first stable release.
      I love both projects for different reasons, though.
      I admit Thunar is pretty basic, I don't use it because of the lack of tabs, for example, and use PCManFM instead.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
        Congrats for the release.

Have their ported Xfce to GTK+ 3 yet?
        Yes they did it in 4.10.

Comment

Originally posted by Imouto View Post
          Yes they did it in 4.10.
          No, that's happening in 4.12... I think.

Comment

they have support for gtk3 now iirc.
            the themes and the gtk-xfce4-enginge have been ported, but i think that the xfce applications are still useing gtk2.

Comment

XFCE gets more and more awesome. In contrast to the gnome team they actually respect wishes from their users. Seen long term I think XFCE has the potential to get most gnome users to switch.

Comment

I really hope they fixed thunar. It displays "eject buttons" for all volumes and it also shows them on the desktop even if they are not mounted. It's really annoying. There's a bug submitted for this since 2010. Ugh.

Comment

Excellent!

I switched to XFCE last year and its been wonderful; i'm already using a single vertical panel and it works nicely in 4.8; with these improvements i can play with it even more .

XFCE is solid, light and reliable, and i like it far more than gnome2.

Its also a plus that they don't seem to have any plans for radically changing the "desktop experience". More distros should take a hint and default to this desktop environment instead.

Comment

All of a sudden I feel compelled to start compiling my own version instead of using the outdated version supplied by Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X