Xfce 4.10 Desktop Feature Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nschermer View Post
    You are comparing 2 different libraries: if you compare libgtk-x11-2.0.so (gtk2) and libgtk-3.so (gtk3) you'll see there is not much difference in size. Same for the 2 gdk libraries (in fact there is the gtk3 version 30% smaller). Nonetheless this says nothing, the library size has no relation to the actual memory usage.
    I compared the right libraries, just cut the names short for the post:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1000 455K 2012-04-29 15:12 libgdk-3.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1000 4,3M 2012-04-29 15:12 libgtk-3.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1000 595K 2012-04-29 15:13 libgdk-x11-2.0.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1000 3,8M 2012-04-29 15:13 libgtk-x11-2.0.so

Oops, mixed the gdk ones around, sorry about that. Gdk3 is smaller.

Comment

They DO bugfix releases, they just doesn't bump it to the DE version number, but to the specific component itself.

Comment

Does anyone know will this get into 12.04's backports? And if not - a PPA?

Comment

Just to inform: Xfce has a different release model then KDE and GNOME (and probably any other desktops). Because the development team is small (3 active developers), we decided that making stable release consumes too much time. So instead we make 1 stable release each year (time permitting, so 4.10 was ~4 months late), containing libxfce4uti-4.10.0, thunar-1.4.0 etcetc..
          After that we only make stable releases of individual packages: so the latest Xfce 4.8 versions are xfce4-dev-tools-4.8.0 (same as in the 4.8 bulk release), xfce4-panel-4.8.6 (6 stable releases after 4.8.0 which was in the 4.8 release), xfce4-settings-4.8.3 (3 releases after 4.8) etcetc.
          Your ?different release model? seems to include the complete lack of any public news: http://www.xfce.org/feed?lang=en says absolutely nothing about bugfixed component releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Your ?different release model? seems to include the complete lack of any public news: http://www.xfce.org/feed?lang=en says absolutely nothing about bugfixed component releases.
            Of course. That news feed is for Xfce as a whole. If you want to see the bugfix for a component ( like Thunar) you have to read the news/changelog for that specific component like:

BTW anyone know of any live distro that has Xfce 4.10? I want to test it but not spend my time compiling nor actually have installed locally.

Comment

Just to inform: Xfce has a different release model then KDE and GNOME (and probably any other desktops). Because the development team is small (3 active developers), we decided that making stable release consumes too much time. So instead we make 1 stable release each year (time permitting, so 4.10 was ~4 months late), containing libxfce4uti-4.10.0, thunar-1.4.0 etcetc..
              After that we only make stable releases of individual packages: so the latest Xfce 4.8 versions are xfce4-dev-tools-4.8.0 (same as in the 4.8 bulk release), xfce4-panel-4.8.6 (6 stable releases after 4.8.0 which was in the 4.8 release), xfce4-settings-4.8.3 (3 releases after 4.8) etcetc.
              That's why we like it!
              A no-nonsense, no version-number-bonanza, no break-shit-at-all-cost development model.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous View Post
                Of course. That news feed is for Xfce as a whole. If you want to see the bugfix for a component ( like Thunar) you have to read the news/changelog for that specific component
                If it's actually Xfce?s attitude towards communication that users/packagers need to hunt for bugfixed components themselves, it is no surprise that Xfce only has three developers. The sense of progress also attracts new contributors.

Comment

I really like this release. I see lots of BeOS/AmigaOS influences here.

Comment

This sounds nice, but I hope there are fixes for these problems from 4.8, as they are highly annoying:

1. Icons not staying in position on the desktop when a game or something changes the screen resolution.
                    2. We have had issues mounting secondary hard drives and other devices (which is not a problem in Gnome).
                    3. The panels often hang on top of programs displaying things in fullscreen (such as VLC).
                    4. It needs a proper volume knob like the one in Gnome and LXDE.

There are some other things I could mention, such as there being no tabs in Thunar (though I read that this is a deliberate move), no file search or connect to server functionality in Thunar (I have to use Catfish and Gigolo, respectively), and not being able to turn off the icons being displayed on my secondary screen (though for the most part I am just happy it is working with Zaphod Mode).

I am not trying to be down on Xfce here, as it is some really nice things about it - it has the best compositor I have ever used and it is fairly flexible. I would just like at least some of these things to be addressed. Now, anyone know where I actually should be posting this as to make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                      Now, anyone know where I actually should be posting this as to make a difference?
                      Try their bugzilla:

Comment

Working...
                      X