Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases New gDEBugger For Linux

Phoronix: AMD Releases New gDEBugger For Linux

AMD has brought back the gDEBugger software to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's all a fake! The cake is a lie! Don't trust the yellow weasel!

Phoronix conspiracy squad will surely break this down soon.

Comment

What the hell is Valve doing here ? Get it off !

Comment

Originally posted by Armurier View Post
        What the hell is Valve doing here ? Get it off !
        I suppose this gDEBugger release has something to do with the latest revelations from Valve. Thanks to Valve AMD may play more nicely with Linux.

Comment

Proprietary

If you like open source there is ApiTrace.

During the last three weeks I've spent most of my spare time writing a GUI for Jose's amazing ApiTrace project. ApiTrace is a project to ...

Comment

gDEBugger and APITrace are not equivalent. It's like comparing MS Office to to one of the GTK notepad clones. It's great to have a FOSS solution, but it has years of hard work ahead of it to be even half as useful as gDEBugger (or PIX for D3D users, or Parallel Nsight, etc.).

That said, I'm glad gDEBugger has had a new release. The last release was particularly buggy with GL Core Profile code for me. Hopefully this new version addresses the bugs; will test shortly and find out. Also, bits of the UI in the last stand-alone version were less than ideal (the vertex buffer visualizer didn't allow user-specified vertex layouts, for instance), and the Visual Studio integration was a joke compared to Parallel Nsight or PIX. Granted, for D3D coders, Visual Studio 11 has its own built-in GPU debugging features now. Yet one more bit of developer-friendly polish that Microsoft happily does which the Linux crowd can't or won't take the lead on.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
              Granted, for D3D coders, Visual Studio 11 has its own built-in GPU debugging features now. Yet one more bit of developer-friendly polish that Microsoft happily does which the Linux crowd can't or won't take the lead on.
              I'm not sure i agree with that sentiment. For years Visual Studio was terrible in comparison to various java based IDE's (for non-GL code at least). It's gotten better with each new release, but you still have to buy 3rd party extensions like ReSharper to get many of the tools you would expect.

The graphics world is different, I'm sure.

Comment

IDE = crappy text editor I don't want to use, combined with a crappy debugger frontend I don't want to use, combined with a crappy project manager I don't want to use. No exceptions. VS2010 is an abomination still.

Binding something that important to a IDE would be a step backwards, not an improvement.

Comment

Working...
                X