Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol propaganda in Phoronix

Talking about alcohol always has a point for some people - if you can't drink at the moment, at least you can talk about it - in a good or bad way, doesn't matter. Usually those are the people with drug abuse problem... hmmm...

Criticizing a German (especially Bavarian) for posting pictures of quality beer is almost racist and borders to an attack on ethnicity..
    Beer is tasty and brings added quality of life, any documented effect from toxicity from responsible consumption is easily offset from the positives that are not regarded by the study.

Quote Originally Posted by nilssab View Post
    Criticizing a German (especially Bavarian) for posting pictures of quality beer is almost racist and borders to an attack on ethnicity..
    Beer is tasty and brings added quality of life, any documented effect from toxicity from responsible consumption is easily offset from the positives that are not regarded by the study.
    As far as I know, Michael is american.
    But I agree with everything you wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Spittie View Post
    As far as I know, Michael is american.
    But I agree with everything you wrote.
    oh, didn't know.
    Well, his "soul" seems to be Bavarian at least

Quote Originally Posted by nilssab View Post
    Agree 100%. Seeing this "alcohol propaganda" in an article about computing gives it a fun feel, and is a welcome addition. There are far more exciting things in the world than computing, after all, so introducing a tasty brew is a great way to liven things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakao View Post
    I visit the Phoronix site daily for the great Linux coverage from Michael Larabel. But there is something that keeps disturbing me. It is his insistence in the alcohol propaganda. While I think drug consumption is bad for him or for anyone else I'm also against prohibition. But I'm also strongly against drug propaganda. It is not only prejudicial to people's health in general but also offensive to others like me. More offensive than religion propaganda.
    God bless you my friend, Jesus loves you!

PS. Have a beer, you'll feel better.

Our local public library board just spent a bunch of time debating whether Dr. Seuss's "Hop on Pop" childrens' book should be banned because it allegedly encourages violence against fathers. Perhaps, just perhaps, it may be possible to worry too much about things like this.

Last edited by bridgman; 04-30-2014 at 05:34 PM.

I have only one thing to say to anyone complaining about pictures of beer.

Go and get yourselves a life, and stop trying to cheapen everyone else's.

No, I'm not one of those "Arrrrr! Beer!" types. I don't like alcohol (maybe the occasional binge every few years if I've forgotten how much I dislike it) and pictures and stories about beer are only of mild interest to me. I do appreciate most any enthusiasm though and wouldn't think to suggest that because I'm not interested, that this Linux technical site should not have pictures of beer. It at least tastes good (if it's one you like).

That isn't because I'm self righteous either... I just use different medicine that doesn't have all the "side effects" that I dislike.
    Last edited by Grogan; 04-30-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Alcohol is not a drug - it is a solvent. Consuming alcohol is a form of solvent abuse.

I do enjoy beer though....

Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post
    Alcohol is not a drug - it is a solvent. Consuming alcohol is a form of solvent abuse.
    Alcohol or ethanol in this context is most essentially a drug. It has also got multiple other uses like a solvent, fuel or antiseptic.