Valve's Gabe Newell Talks Linux Steam Client, Source Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    It's not a minor annoyance, it's evidence of his ineptitude. I do allow ads on sites that actually post relevant information instead of e-begging.

People like you are dumb enough to just accept his crap instead of demanding more, so your point of him trying to provide for his family is completely moot because he doesn't act like the site actually matters to him and it shows in the quality of his reviews and all the things he doesn't post about while chasing stupid, unsubstantiated rumors.

And yes, I know I'm offensive, welcome to the internet.
    Kivada, get off your high horse and back onto level ground. You do realise this site is a blog, evidenced by the articles about beer, Chernobyl, Ocktoberfest etc. Michael posts about whatever interests him. Yes, criticism is good and hopefully Michael will listen to some points such as proving actual quotes from Gabe and people he is interviewing and a little less personal opinion at times, but if you're reading the article and commenting in the forums then clearly you have SOME interest in the same stuff that Michael does. So face it - you're a freeloader if you refuse to allow ads on a site you're ACTIVELY READING AND POSTING IN (239 posts!?!), to help support it.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Do you really want to see his @$$?

i kid, i kid
      I have no doubt that he is the goatse guy... He is German after all...

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
        Yeah I don't think that future is very far, I believe it will happen. I think what we should do now is help the developers in any way we can.

e.g. donations, hardware donations, testing experimental features, testing games on open source drivers, and if you get issues while testing games on open source drivers, fix the issues or report the issues to the developers so they can fix them, etc.

I believe in Linux and FOSS and we'll get there.
        Completely agreed, this is the time to rally as much as possible and at the least, file bug reports against any problems we find! Things will take time, but I personally think this could be the start of something big IF we can organise and do as much as we can to support the community and especially the devs.
        (off topic here, but I am a bit more concerned about things like the hardware incompatibility we've been seeing with things like Optimus though, hindering potential new users)

Comment

From Michael twitter:

>>@ID_AA_Carmack So when are we getting Linux binaries for Rage?

>>@joedaviso I heard it ran fine under Wine. No plans for a native linux client.

So no rage for linux, also:

John Carmack : there is a native linux client for QuakeLive, but it saw less than 20% of the users the mac got, despite a better version.

Don't get your hopes to high with steam for linux even if it comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
            Kivada, get off your high horse and back onto level ground. You do realise this site is a blog, evidenced by the articles about beer, Chernobyl, Ocktoberfest etc. Michael posts about whatever interests him. Yes, criticism is good and hopefully Michael will listen to some points such as proving actual quotes from Gabe and people he is interviewing and a little less personal opinion at times, but if you're reading the article and commenting in the forums then clearly you have SOME interest in the same stuff that Michael does. So face it - you're a freeloader if you refuse to allow ads on a site you're ACTIVELY READING AND POSTING IN (239 posts!?!), to help support it.
            If you haven't noticed yet, I don't particularly give a shit about what you think of my blocking ads, if this is just a blog done in his spare time then why has Larabel whined about not being taken seriously by hardware manufacturers or software developers.

The only reason I care is because this THE ONLY Linux review site and Larabel's actions reflect badly on the open source community as a whole, theres a reason this site is so reviled on most other forums and that reason is Larabel. If you want to coddle him and ignore all the stupid things he does then you are part of the problem. Yeah, Linux has made great strides in the last few years, but that seems to have much more to do with the consolidation of users under Ubuntu then anything else as non OSS developers only want to have to worry about a single platform instead of fielding support questions of dozens of distros each with their own little nuances when they know exactly what they're getting with traditional platforms like Windows and OS X and thus expect the same of Linux.

So yeah, I'm going to take every chance I get to rub Larabel's face in it like a puppy that has taken a shit on the carpet irregardless of weather he finally gets off his ass and does something about it.

So I'll get off my horse when you get off yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
              Completely agreed, this is the time to rally as much as possible and at the least, file bug reports against any problems we find! Things will take time, but I personally think this could be the start of something big IF we can organise and do as much as we can to support the community and especially the devs.
              (off topic here, but I am a bit more concerned about things like the hardware incompatibility we've been seeing with things like Optimus though, hindering potential new users)
              In fact I just remembered something, the entire reason I even joined the site was to PM Larabel about Beating the dead horse of Steam for Linux and providing this link from back in 2010 http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...terview?page=2

Q: Final question, and one I'm sure you're not super-keen to answer, but I promised one of our tech guys I'd ask it. What truth is there to rumours that you're also working on a Linux version of Steam?

Doug Lombardi: There's no Linux version that we're working on right now. ...
              As you may have guessed, 2 YEARS later an Larabel is still at it and the quality of the site is still terrible.

Comment

Waaaaa, Waaaaaaa

Comment

Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
                  >>@ID_AA_Carmack So when are we getting Linux binaries for Rage?

>>@joedaviso I heard it ran fine under Wine. No plans for a native linux client.

So no rage for linux
                  Well, that sucks, but there's plenty of time for things to change. If Valve do manage to pull off a console based on Linux then if companies like iD want to develop for it they'll likely have to make a native linux binary or maybe a supported winelib version at the least.

In fact I just remembered something, the entire reason I even joined the site was to PM Larabel about Beating the dead horse of Steam for Linux and providing this link from back in 2010
                  Yeah, no idea why you just quoted an entirely separate post of mine with that useless response. Thanks for contributing... I really need to learn not to feed the trolls. Go start your own thread or something.

Comment

The only reason I care is because this THE ONLY Linux review site and Larabel's actions reflect badly on the open source community as a whole
                    I'm sympathetic towards this argument, but I don't think your actions are reflecting any better than his.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      I'm sympathetic towards this argument, but I don't think your actions are reflecting any better than his.
                      lol well said!

Comment

Working...
                      X