No announcement yet.

Valve's Gabe Newell Talks Linux Steam Client, Source Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hope this is 'foot in the door' for Linux. Once/If steam does get released for Linux with a decent number of games ported over then other developers MIGHT start to take Linux seriously in regards to gaming. I think the lack of gaming on Linux really doesn't help push its desktop popularity and is definitely a reason why some people can't go full Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
      i wonder why now? i mean, why are they doing this now? Open source driver a finally catching up with 3d standarts (SNB + IVB has OGL 3.x support, Gallium3D is also reached that lvl) or is it that win8 is awful (imo, win 8 is the worst move ever made [secureboot crap, multitouch interface crap 'coz i can't afford a multitouch screen])? what are the reason behind this whole linux thing? nothing within Micheal article gives a real inside no quotes, no pictures.. nothing. I'm exited to know once again that steam and source engine could come to linux. but will they really do it?
      Seems like Gabe Newell has some kind of issues / concerns / annoyances / whatever with Apple, Microsoft, etc. He may fear that they are going to push Valve right out of the market, and this might be his response. I guess Michael knows more.

Valve CEO Gabe Newell admits that the company is looking to provide an open hardware platform both in the living room and mobile sector.

Comment

not a gamer by any means but

anyone knows if this is going to work with the open drivers??

if it was answered on previous pages apologies. the site is unusable due to all the traffic

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          I hope Valve doesn't try to bend over backwards to please every weird fringe Linux distro, instead focus only on the few main and modern ones.
          I look forward to them developing for Archliux then.

Comment

An amazing news

As an old Game developer and an always Gamer, it's a dreaming news.

I actually have a lot of games under steam and I really appreciate their job and the respect of their clients.
            I really hope it will push Linux in a new step in the battle against the full proprietary world of Microsoft Windows.

I'll follow the Linux progress with even more attention than ever.

It seems this news is loud, because the web site is very slow today...

Games are mandatory for me to be able to use a linux distribution at full time.

Comment

Since nvidia is promoting some "big announcement" this Saturday by sending crowbars to members of the media... any possible connection to Valve does anyone think?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                No, that just makes him look more like a sleazy idiot. If you've got anything at all you don't milk it in every gaming related article for YEARS for ad hits.

Its the same reason I refuse to whitelist Phoronix, he has ample oppertunity to post actual news on this site and he doesn't, he'd rather go on and on about steam for Linux with no corroboration.

Larabel is a damn moron with no tact, remember the Gameolith article? A Linux Only game shop? Well even in their debut article he had to bring up Steam as if it's coming to Linux was going to happen the very next day and that all other Linux game shops would instantly be made irrelevant.

Then theres the fact he'll post about every minor update to Gnome or KDE but wont cover actual new games coming out for Linux.

Where are the articles about Where are the articles about games released THIS MONTH like:
                Harvest Massive Encounter
                Dark Legends
                Snorms Episode 2
                Minetest
                Terasology
                Shadowrun Returns
                Delver
                Flare
                CraftStudio Game Maker
                Nekro
                The Banner Saga
                Will Fight For Food
                Ensign-1

Would those not have brought in far more page views and thus ad hits then droning on and on about Steam thats probably never going to come to the Linux desktop instead of only being available on a Valve made console?

Really, what makes more sense to talk about? Larabel's unsubstantiated rumors or ACTUAL NEWS?
                So you're a thief, got it. "Oh I don't like phoronix so I block ads oh I hate micheal oh I like bitching oh everyone look I'm bitching here" You like phoronix enough to read it but not enough to tolerate a minor annoyance so a man has money to feed his family.
                Last edited by chris200x9; 25 April 2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  Since nvidia is promoting some "big announcement" this Saturday by sending crowbars to members of the media... any possible connection to Valve does anyone think?
                  Every GTX 690 ships with an Half-Life 3 voucher?

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
                    So you're a thief, got it. "Oh I don't like phoronix so I block ads oh I hate micheal oh I like bitching oh everyone look I'm bitching here" You like phoronix enough to read it but not enough to tolerate a minor annoyance so a man has money to feed his family.
                    no thievery going on. freeloading is a better term, but even then it isn't really, if no one is willing to donate, and michael can't make money otherwise, it would seem that phoronix has no marketable value. that's not a crime, it's called the free market, and many newspapers, and news outlets will go the way of the dinosaurs unless they somehow innovate and satisfy market needs.

Comment

I'd really like to hear Gabe's thoughts on Linux as a gaming platform (difficulty of development, which areas could be improved in comparison to OSX/Windows) and why he feels strongly about Linux and not Windows 8. I know a large part of it is how closed the platform is becoming (or is) but I would like to hear more about the specifics of how Windows 8 is becoming worse and how Linux outshines it. I'm sure many people would be interested in an article about that.

Comment

Working...
                      X