No announcement yet.

A New Game Engine Comes To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This just in Michael confirms signing NDA upon admittance into the building :-P

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
      Well, speculating a bit.
      It could be that VALVE is mildly interested in the benchmarking "expertise", and not in the rather tiny part of Michael also being "some sort of" journalist.
      As I see it, Phoronix mainly serves as advertising platform for PTS, OpenBenchmarking, etc., to acquire new potential customers.
      So this NOT a typical news site IMHO.
      Now, now let's not be mean. Beside PTS therea are a lot of good news that start here first.
      Also there are some, like the steam thing, that are annoying.

I hope that the windows install for PTS will get better soon, I see no reason in testing my linux install which I already know it has bad video performance.
      I payed good money for my video card so I could use it.

Comment

Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
        Now, now let's not be mean. Beside PTS therea are a lot of good news that start here first.
        Also there are some, like the steam thing, that are annoying.
        Sorry if it had a "mean" touch. This has clearly not been my intention.
        Just wanted to answer the previous post, why it makes perfectly sense - from my point of view - to invite
        Michael but disallow to spread any significantly new information.

To be honest, I'm totally not interested in PTS and annoyed by these posts now and then.
        But that's a plain personal thing, of course.

Comment

Was kinda expecting to hear something from Michael by now.

Here's hoping he didn't get taken out by a crowbar.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Was kinda expecting to hear something from Michael by now.

Here's hoping he didn't get taken out by a crowbar.
            At this point I'm pretty sure they aren't going to let him share anything about what he saw. His twitter account is rather dead, as well. If there is a linux Steam on the way, I wouldn't be surprised if we wont see it for a long, long time. I'll gladly eat my own words if I'm wrong though.

Comment

"Okay, the test is over now. You win! Go back to the recovery annex for your cake."
              -- stupid character limit --

Comment

Seems like he really made it.

HATS OFF!

Eagerly waiting for the news now.

Comment

Tom's seems to be indicating an open hardware console platform as well as perhaps a foray into the mobile sector.

If it's the latter, my prediction was right. Mobile gaming is going to be getting bigger in the future. Before long there will be more Linux / iOS games than Windows games... wait, wut? Valve can't ignore this.

edit: ohh... I see Michael's twitter feed confirms that Steam is indeed coming to Linux. Cool beans!
                  Last edited by johnc; 24 April 2012, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I'm not dead, I'm not hit by a crow-bar, I'm not under NDA.... It was a long and exciting day at Valve. There's no article yet but I'll be writing up something shortly, I'm working on it now but might not be out before the morning. I'm amazed by their Linux plans and deciding what I want to write or share at this time; it won't be anything too amazing. Saying the Linux Steam client is coming is already more than enough plus a few photos.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      I'm amazed by their Linux plans and deciding what I want to write or share at this time; it won't be anything too amazing. Saying the Linux Steam client is coming is already more than enough plus a few photos.
                      Did you get the video of you and Gabe confirming the Linux Steam client?

After reading Mike Abrash's blog post that you linked to, I'm guessing you don't want to release too much info in case some projects don't pan out or end up seeing the light of day?

I look forward to the article...

Comment

Working...
                      X