Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 12.3 on Linux - 4way Crossfire

Howdy,

After successfully initializing and listing the 4 GPUs on my system, I take a look to see what candidates are available:

root@localhost:~# aticonfig --lscc

Master Adapter: 0. 01:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
    Candidates: 3. 06:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

Master Adapter: 1. 02:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

Master Adapter: 2. 05:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

Master Adapter: 3. 06:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

I am confused by this output as it seems that I cannot setup 4-way crossfire.

This was attempting using the proprietary driver (per thread) on both Debian/Squeeze and on Debian/Wheezy, using Xfce4 environment with same result for both.

Does Catalyst 12.3 allow crossfire on HD7970 GPUs? If so, does it allow 4-way? Am grateful for feedback. I kept my listing short, will gladly provide other diagnostic info.

System:
    GA-990FXA-UD7, AMD 8120, 8GB RAM, 4xASUS HD7970

Well it looks that only 2 are possible somehow. Maybe you installed the extra cards after you installed the driver? You can try to shutdown X completely and delete /etc/ati/amdpcsdb. That should reset the settings. It is useless to delete that file while X is running. But even if only 2 would be possible: try

aticonfig --cfl on

after you set em up. Would like to know if you ever see a cf logo and which game could use it. All i could verify with 12-3 was that i got rendering errors with heaven which were not there without cf. 8.96 fixed those rendering errors but could not see the cf logo nor did it impact speed. Then i got rid of cf

Comment

HD 7970? I am not sure (never got to read about the newest AMD offering), but it looks like those are double cards. So, you probably have 8 GPUs on your motherboard rather then four. Does CrossFire even work 8-way?

EDIT

No, if I analyze the table the right way, only HD 7990 will be a double card. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southe...8GPU_family%29 Probably it is a bug in Catalyst...

BTW, if speaking about crossfire, I have a question for mr Bridgman. The lack of CrossFire on free driver comes from legal situation or rather it is just a matter of priorities and will be implemented somewhere in a future?
      Last edited by Hirager; 24 April 2012, 01:43 AM.

Comment

@Kano: did what you suggested. then completely uninstalled, then reinstalled.

oddly enough this is the result:

root@localhost:~# aticonfig --lscc

Master Adapter: 0. 01:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
        Candidates: none

Master Adapter: 1. 02:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

Master Adapter: 2. 05:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

Master Adapter: 3. 06:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

ROFL. well... interesting. the crossfire cables are hooked up properly (cable 1 connects 0 and 1, cable 2 connects 1 and 2, cable 3 connects 2 and 3 per the aticonfig number assignment for the adapters). again had same result in both Deb/Squeeze and Deb/Wheezy. willing to consider another distro but don't really think that is at issue.

BTW: in response to your initial reply... yes i had added the additional three cards after installing the driver for the single card. on my reinstall attempts, i left all four plugged into the board with the result reported here.

back to it in the meantime.
        Last edited by cz3141; 24 April 2012, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Well you first have to enable crossfire, what did amdcccle say about that?

Comment

AMDcccle vs. Command Line Manipulation

@Kano:
            well i admit i've been using the command line only... especially since the control center options for crossfire are grayed out (running the user version as the "administrative" version that is installed does not even come up for me when i start it regardless of whether i am root or not). so in short: amdcccle does nothing for me that i can tell, and it does not seem to take command line options either.

so i have stuck with aticonfig as my tool of choice... and it hasn't gotten me too far.

is there something else i should be doing on the 12.3 install to allow crossfire enabling? it isn't accessible in the control panel. distro related issue??? seems an odd exception especially if you are thinking it is not only available but may resolve some of these issues?

thanks again for feedback.

is there anyone that has gotten HD7970 4way crossfire running on linux? what platform?
            Last edited by cz3141; 25 April 2012, 02:15 AM.

Comment

I know this topic is old but have you got much progress from this? I'm trying to get 2-way crossfire going with HD5750s and it doesn't seem to be working. CCC has an option to enable crossfireX, and when I enable it, it tells me to reboot but then it's just disabled again. I can't seem to find a guide that isn't nearly 6 years old. While the commands I enter don't seem to fail per-se, they're clearly not working either. Crossfire works fine in Windows.

Comment

Working...
              X