Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.10 Codenamed The "Quantal Quetzal"

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Codenamed The "Quantal Quetzal"

Mark Shuttleworth announced the codename this morning to Ubuntu 12.10. This Ubuntu Linux release due out in October will be codenamed the Quantal Quetzal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i was hopping for "Querky Quaridarium" but apparently Shutleworth doesn't read the Phoronix Forums

Comment

why?

What is the point of those codenames anyway?
      They are so impractical. If I want to google a question about ubuntu - I always have to do the search once including the version number, once including the codename and once with both to get all answers available. And then all the posts I miss because of typing errors of codenames.

I think the codenames are OK for the developers as long as they do not promote them to the outside too much. For users they are an anoyance.
      So please phoronix, would you mind stopping those "news" about codenames?
      thx, thomas

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
        What is the point of those codenames anyway?
        They are so impractical. If I want to google a question about ubuntu - I always have to do the search once including the version number, once including the codename and once with both to get all answers available. And then all the posts I miss because of typing errors of codenames.

I think the codenames are OK for the developers as long as they do not promote them to the outside too much. For users they are an anoyance.
        So please phoronix, would you mind stopping those "news" about codenames?
        thx, thomas
        Because "Precise Pangolin" is way easier to remember than "12.04".

Comment

easier?

Maybe one codename is easy to remember. But easier as the year and the month (= the version)? Why is that?
          I can tell you all Ubuntu-Versions that existed and even that will exist:
          12.04 12.10
          11.04 11.10
          10.04 10.10

This is not easy to remember for you?
          So now tell me all the codenames without going to wikipedia or so....

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            Maybe one codename is easy to remember. But easier as the year and the month (= the version)? Why is that?
            I can tell you all Ubuntu-Versions that existed and even that will exist:
            12.04 12.10
            11.04 11.10
            10.04 10.10

This is not easy to remember for you?
            So now tell me all the codenames without going to wikipedia or so....
            Warty Warthog. Breezy Badger. Jaunty Jackalope. Karmic Koala. Lucid Lynx. Maverick Meerkat. Natty Narwhal. Oneiric Ocelot. Precise Pangolin. I also remember Edgy, though not what the animal was about right now... And all of those associate with the specific circumstances of their release. The numbers say nothing to me, especially since it's quite similar to other distributions, like Mandriva and openSUSE... And I never even used Ubuntu as my primary distribution.

Comment

Some people will have an easier time remembering the mascots and others will remember the numbers. My favorite was 'Hardy Heron' which I nicknamed 'Hardy Heroin' because of my fondness of opiates.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                I also remember Edgy, though not what the animal was about right now...
                That was Edgy Eft.

Comment

The real annoyance comes when you get technical errors, failed bzr branch commands, 404s in your apt repositories, and so on -- because they sometimes make their repository name impossibly difficult to spell.

Knowing most people, neither "Quantal" nor "Quetzal" is a common name to spell, so this is going to really suck for 6 months. At least everybody can spell "Hardy" and "Precise" and "Edgy". Quantal? Seriously, wtf.

Comment

wow

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Warty Warthog. Breezy Badger. Jaunty Jackalope. Karmic Koala. Lucid Lynx. Maverick Meerkat. Natty Narwhal. Oneiric Ocelot. Precise Pangolin.
                    Wow, respect. This is interesting. Maybe you can remember because you are a native english speaker? Are you? I am not, so I do not even know the meaning of most of the words...
                    Maybe that is the reason for the dominance of numbers in versions - they are so international...

Comment

Working...
                    X