Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running The OMAPDRM On Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Phoronix: Running The OMAPDRM On Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Besides Ubuntu 12.04 on ARMv7 being much faster, thanks to hard-float and other improvements, the Texas Instruments OMAP DRM driver is also available to provide a KMS experience for some hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would be neat if there was a decent mature and mainline PowerVR driver.

A lot of lightweight distributions can run on tablets and smartphones if they would have the required drivers and the used compilers also play an important role here.

Comment

Funny. I used to have a standalone 3D accelerator (when you could buy these without 2D functions) based on a PowerVR PCX2. I remember it was pretty advanced for its time but it lacked good drivers and developer support. When a game was designed for it specifically, then it would work really well, but these were very rare to the point that you could count them with the fingers of one hand alone. It was supposed to work with DirectX at some point, but most of the time it didn't work. I don't think it ever had OpenGL support. Seems some things never change...

Comment

The biggest problem with PowerVR is that there are so many variants of the chip-set out there in different SOCs and getting hold of binary blobs that will work with your specific SOC, choice of kernel, X version and other bits can be a pain.

Comment

Working...
        X