Current status of VDPAU on r600g?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Well, I am talking to someone about buying a GTX 460 1gb card (used, of course) or buying a GT210 or GT540 so I'm just comparing cards right now and assessing finances.

I read that's it's a PITA to try ATI cards with VDPAU.
    Well, from the cards you're mentioning, I wouldn't recommend the GT210. It's old and its performance sometimes is even lower than current intel HD3000 IGPs. The used GTX460 seems a very attractive offer, if the card is in good conditions, and the best option of the 3 you mentioned. The GT540 is a great card for HTPC / light gaming.

I think you should give a look at Tom's Hardware VGA Charts...

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Execute_Method View Post
      There is a package in AUR "mesa-r600g-git" with vdpau enabled.

I have also installed:
      libvdpau
      vdpau-video
      lib32-libvdpau

You will need to export:

VDPAU_DRIVER=r600

It's been working well for me for some months, but I don't watch a great deal of videos anyway.
      To DanL and Execute_Method: Thanks for your help... after installing mesa-r600g-git + xf86-video-ati-git from AUR and creating a script on /etc/profile.d I was able to use vdpau on my HD4650 AGP card. Furthermore, this is the first time my card also works with dynpm ... As such, I'll stick to the FOSS drivers. It's unfortunate that vdpau on r600g still doesn't support H.264, so I can't watch 1080p H.264 videos on my P4 desktop (720p works well btw) ... I think that should've been a top priority in FOSS radeon driver development...

Cheers

Comment

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          one little dirty secret is this UVD work is only for HD5000+

they already drop any support for the UVD1 unit

more realistic is UVD3+

It is not an secret. You has only to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            It is not an secret. You has only to ask.
            But conspiracies are so much more fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              anyway hd2000-hd4000 users are fucked and will not get UVD support.
              You just got added to another "Ignore List". Congratulations on achieving that!

Comment

Had anyone tried the recent build of the FOSS drivers on h.264 decoding of vdpau?

Comment

Originally posted by mikejuni View Post
                  Had anyone tried the recent build of the FOSS drivers on h.264 decoding of vdpau?
                  h264 is not implemented now.

Comment

Working...
                  X