Thread: Testing Out The Major Nouveau libdrm Rewrite

Default Testing Out The Major Nouveau libdrm Rewrite

Phoronix: Testing Out The Major Nouveau libdrm Rewrite

Committed to the Mesa and libdrm Git repositories last week for Nouveau, the open-source NVIDIA Linux driver, was the "major libdrm rewrite" designed to step-up this reverse-engineered driver. What impact did these invasive changes have on the Nouveau driver's performance? Here are benchmarks comparing before-and-after as well as how the Nouveau driver compares to the proprietary NVIDIA Linux graphics driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17278

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Testing Out The Major Nouveau libdrm Rewrite

Committed to the Mesa and libdrm Git repositories last week for Nouveau, the open-source NVIDIA Linux driver, was the "major libdrm rewrite" designed to step-up this reverse-engineered driver. What impact did these invasive changes have on the Nouveau driver's performance? Here are benchmarks comparing before-and-after as well as how the Nouveau driver compares to the proprietary NVIDIA Linux graphics driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17278
    What, no Doom3 test? Michael, Doom3 should be the first game you test, until Unigine gets relevant.

Default nv30

It would be interesting to see old nvfx vs. nv30, including failures that got fixed by the new driver.

Quote Originally Posted by orome View Post
    It would be interesting to see old nvfx vs. nv30, including failures that got fixed by the new driver.
    It's still a busted mess.... My 6600GT has failed to work well on Nouveau in 2+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's still a busted mess.... My 6600GT has failed to work well on Nouveau in 2+ years.
    Noveau team has at least one 6800 GT. Time will show if anything gets through.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Noveau team has at least one 6800 GT. Time will show if anything gets through.
    I had also given a GeForce 6600GT to Nouveau years ago. Ben fixed up a number of 6600GT issues recently, but it's still largely borked and frequently locking up. It's worse than the current Nouveau Kepler support even.

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    What, no Doom3 test? Michael, Doom3 should be the first game you test, until Unigine gets relevant.
    +1
    (stupid character limit)
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

I have an AGP based 6800GS lying around so are the issues affecting AGP cards too?