No announcement yet.

Next Week Is Looking Phenomenal For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, like Smitty I see this mostly as something of a welcome service for the indie sector, it's not going to lure AAA titles all of a sudden. Yet again I can't understand why Michael tries so hard to portray games as the make-it or break-it feature of Linux on the desktop, with statements like -'Steam/Source on Linux is really a last shot for Linux on the desktop', seriously wtf?

I'd wager most people out there playing games do so with casual flash (and in future html5) games, the hardcore PC gamers are decreasing as they venture off towards dedicated gaming consoles. And if you really want to play AAA titles on Linux then there's wine which seems to have great support for the most popular titles, add to this the growing availability of indie games and how people are increasingly playing games on their smartphones and tablets these days rather than on their computers then I'd say games has never been such an uninportant issue for Linux on the desktop as it is today.

Steam on Linux will not be some magical catalyst for Linux desktop adoption, it's desktop userbase will continue to grow at a snails pace and it will keep on growing with or without steam.

Comment

Desura already has me covered for my independent gaming needs. There are far less Linux games on there than Windows, but more than enough than I have time to play. I'm looking forward to Steam though, just to play the Source games that I already own. I could give a rats ass about so called "AAA" games from EA. They mostly suck anyways, IMO.

Comment

A native linux client doesn't necessarily mean more native games. They could all be using wine, so nothing very interesting to report there. That is, unless Valve is working on some kind of cross-platform API and associated development tools for writing games that run on Steam somehow. That could be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          It's for the desktop: Ubuntu with the NVIDIA / AMD blobs.
          My new lenovo came without any graphics card so I'm using the on-board graphics that the core i5 offers. Do you think that will work with their source engine games? If so will it be enough to run the games smoothly? It doesn't work well with some of Chrome's native client applications that I've tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
            My new lenovo came without any graphics card so I'm using the on-board graphics that the core i5 offers. Do you think that will work with their source engine games? If so will it be enough to run the games smoothly? It doesn't work well with some of Chrome's native client applications that I've tried.
            The Intel developers have an early build already from Valve, but as far as I know they're not actively working towards working on it at the moment. But even if they do get it supported, unless it's a Sandy/Ivy Bridge Core i5 there's no chance the Source Engine would run well on it under Linux. Anything but the proprietary drivers is likely going to produce less than desired visual quality and performance.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael, do you also plan some sort of interview with Gabe Newell?
              If so, how about asking for questions?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                Michael, do you also plan some sort of interview with Gabe Newell?
                If so, how about asking for questions?
                I haven't asked Gabe yet if he would like to do an interview, but I'm prepared to do an interview if he's willing on Tuesday. I already have questions to ask him plus I asked Phoronix Premium subscribers for any questions they might have.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                X