Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
    Steam on Linux:
    I still don't understand the possibilities that will come out of that. The developers still have to release Linux versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
      I still don't understand the possibilities that will come out of that. The developers still have to release Linux versions.
      I don't get it either. If it's just some client that transmits your credit card info and gives you a download link for a game (simplified) it's really.. yawn. Even if they manage to offer a couple of new linux versions of new or old games...

Comment

As much I'm hoping this to happen, I still remain a bit sceptical about the native Steam client for linux. (hopefully, not for long anyway)

But here's to hope we won't find the disappointing "Steam client for Linux postponed indefinitely" article next week.

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
        If and when a Steam client for Linux is released, a Linux version of the Source engine will probably be out at the same time.

This means at least the following games are likely to see their native Linux versions:

• Half-life 2
        • Counter-Strike: Source
        • Team Fortress 2
        • Portal, Portal 2

and probably many more.

I have been playing TF2 using Wine for quite some time and would be very excited to hear a native port being on the way.

Of course, there will also be other games than those made by Valve. Many games have already existing Linux ports that could be published through Steam as well. Not to mention Linux will gain visibility as a gaming platform and could attract even more gaming studios to release games for Linux.

Comment

Do we know this is actually a desktop version of Steam, or is Valve perhaps looking to get into the mobile gaming market?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Do we know this is actually a desktop version of Steam, or is Valve perhaps looking to get into the mobile gaming market?

It's for the desktop: Ubuntu with the NVIDIA / AMD blobs.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
              As much I'm hoping this to happen, I still remain a bit sceptical about the native Steam client for linux. (hopefully, not for long anyway)
              This is going to be the best episode of Punked ever!

Comment

Steam/Source on Linux is really a last shot for Linux on the desktop and for gamers to prove to studios that AAA titles on Linux can be viable and a worthwhile effort.
                If Hats: the MMO can't save Linux nothing can!

Comment

Yeah, I can totally see every company under the sun lining up to port their games to Linux. Hell, they'll be so happy, they'll probably give away their ported games for free.

If this whole Linux thing is not about a mythical, Linux-based "Steam Box", then one can say beforehand that it'll be a failure. Steam without, well, most of its games will not persuade anyone to switch to Linux. And even a "Steam Box" running Linux is, in my mind, wishful thinking in an era when console manufacturers are hard at work to lock down their consoles as best as they can. Which publisher would like to see his games being released on an "open" Linux platform? None, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by TheComrade View Post
                    Yeah, I can totally see every company under the sun lining up to port their games to Linux. Hell, they'll be so happy, they'll probably give away their ported games for free.

If this whole Linux thing is not about a mythical, Linux-based "Steam Box", then one can say beforehand that it'll be a failure. Steam without, well, most of its games will not persuade anyone to switch to Linux. And even a "Steam Box" running Linux is, in my mind, wishful thinking in an era when console manufacturers are hard at work to lock down their consoles as best as they can. Which publisher would like to see his games being released on an "open" Linux platform? None, I guess.
                    I think there are plenty of indie games that might get ported to linux if there was a pre-existing platform that handled all the sales/installations/etc for them. Particularly when they are already supporting that system on other OS's.

I know that these games can create a Humble Bundle, or go through another small store, but Steam is the gold standard on Windows, and it's what they are used to dealing with. It takes out a huge barrier for Linux support.

I don't imagine this will do much one way or the other in terms of AAA titles coming to linux. That might come eventually if Steam sales show the money is there, but I suspect it will probably just confirm that a linux client isn't worth their time.

However, just getting the Source engine would be nice, so that indie games which license it can easily get going on linux. And i'd love to get Portal and the Half Life series on linux - just that by itself would be a pretty major news item.

If your only standard for success is "how many people will this convince to switch to linux", then i'd humbly submit that you are grading on the wrong standard. I don't care about that, I'd just like to see a few great games and open up the floodgates for a lot more smaller ones. Do that, and switching 0 people would still be considered a success by me.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 21 April 2012, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      If your only standard for success is "how many people will this convince to switch to linux", then i'd humbly submit that you are grading on the wrong standard. I don't care about that, I'd just like to see a few great games and open up the floodgates for a lot more smaller ones. Do that, and switching 0 people would still be considered a success by me.
                      You seem to be greatly mistaken. This is not my standard, but that of many people, who think that games are the last puzzle piece that has to fall into place for Linux to conquer the desktop. If this has not to do with Linux adoption, what else has? Your fingers aren't sufficient to count the claims on Linux forums that someone's friend would switch to Linux in a heartbeat if it weren't for this game or that program etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X