AMD To Drop Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 Catalyst Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
    Valve is about to release Steam for Linux, so users will need full 3d support. How can AMD make money out of this "historical" situation? SIMPLE: kill the driver for 70% users out there and force them to buy a new GPU because the OSS driver won't be able to run Valve's games!
    If you read through responses in this thread, you'll see that people are pissed at AMD and would be more likely to buy an nvidia card if they cared about demanding 3D games.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
      That's very good. So that means that a maintained Ubuntu release will be probably compatible with Catalyst <12.7 until April 2017. And Catalyst <12.7 should be also compatible with maintained releases of RHEL based distros even much longer.

Then no much reason to worry about this step then.
      Unless you actually care about the other evolutions of the desktop that take place between distro releases.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        [...]

You're kinda fucked, then. NVIDIA does it. Intel does it (they're okay on Linux, but they abandon their GPUs on Windows every new release; I have DX10.1-capable Intel hardware that only ships with an old buggy GL 3.0 driver, for no fucking reason besides Intel being cheap and incompetent). Everybody does it.
        I agree with the last sentence, even AMD/ATI supports their cards still via their open source driver. Also if you are really convinced that the proprietary driver is much better for you even in the next years, you can still use Catalyst 12.6 in Linux distros. Several conservative distros (including Ubuntu, even it is not as conservative as RHEL or Debian) will still support this driver in 5+ years (via Ubuntu release 12.04)
        Last edited by Fenrin; 20 April 2012, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
          Unless you actually care about the other evolutions of the desktop that take place between distro releases.
          If I care about the evolutions of the desktop, I would also use newer hardware. Many game addicted people replace their hardware every 2 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
            If I care about the evolutions of the desktop, I would also use newer hardware. Many game addicted people replace their hardware every 2 years or so.
            These two things have absolutely nothing in common:

1. Wanting to take advantage of the latest features, bugfixes and enhancements to your favorite desktop (e.g. KDE or GNOME)
            2. Being a high-end hardware user or gamer

You can get real productivity improvements, not just "eye candy", from newer desktops. It's less noticeable with GNOME, but I defy you to use KDE 4.0 or 4.1 for daily use. And I defy you to use something like 4.8 for even a few days and then go back to something like 4.4 and be happy with it.

DE versions matter to a lot of people. As do versions of popular apps like Firefox, which don't get updated in those "conservative" distros.

The only thing those conservative distros are good for is for servers, where there is literally no benefit to upgrading more frequently than every 5 years or so, because all you're doing is serving webpages, email, etc.

The reason for this is that progress on the Linux server side has slowed down dramatically as the server side has become, how shall we say it, feature complete. Basically, even RHEL 5 is an extremely good (as in tons of features and fast) server OS. The only server-side technology that has really made progress in the past 5 years is virtualization, so if you're doing things on physical servers or containers, you probably don't care.

Think of it this way: early adopters of Linux were, by and large, much more interested in using Linux for servers than using it for desktops. I'm talking 1990s here. Long before 0.001% of the population ran Linux on desktops, some 5% of the server market was already occupied by Linux running Apache web server. 5% of a global market such as web servers is HUGE. Companies such as IBM poured enormous resources into getting open source web stacks on top of Linux running very competitively, and often flat-out beating Microsoft and Solaris. All without the heinous license fees.

The Linux server ecosystem had a 10 year start on the (serious) Linux desktop, essentially. The real big players have only just started knocking at the gate of the desktop. So the huge upheavals, improvements, changes in the server ecosystem happened somewhere between, oh, 1995 and 2003. Since then, it's been rather unexciting, gradual change.

It'll be at least another decade until the desktop reaches that state. For now, we're still in "major, frequent upheavals" mode. Just look at how much Gnome changed with 3.x. Look at how much KDE changed between 3.x and 4.x, and then changed even more between 4.0 and 4.8. Look at the progress that open source graphics drivers have made from about 2007 to 2012: in 5 short years, we've gone from basic OpenGL 1.4 on only certain hardware, to OpenGL 2.1 on most hardware and 3.0 on certain hardware. The wait time between chip release and full support is decreasing exponentially with each new ASIC generation. The evolution is fast and furious, because there's demand and there's a lot of work left to do.

So if you are using software that is rapidly changing, and you sit around for 2 or 3 years using the old version, you're going to get left in the dust. On the other hand, if you are using software that is only changing gradually, and you sit around for 2 or 3 years using the old version, you will barely be missing a thing. This is why RHEL is a very smart choice for servers, but a very stupid one for desktops.
            Last edited by allquixotic; 20 April 2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

I was a bit surprised to read this, but when thinking about it, it does not really affect me at all.

As some people have said, the only reason why this would be a problem in the near future is if you choose to use one of the more faster updating distros like Fedora or a non-LTS release of Ubuntu with the blob. I do use Fedora and I have a Radeon HD 4670, but the main reason I do is because Fedora is generally really good at keeping support current for the free radeon drivers. That is the main reason I am using it.

If I wanted the blob I would use CentOS or some other longer term supported distro, as Fedora and the like do not really work well with the blob anyway. In fact, for the people I know that use the blob this would be the best solution anyway.

Trine 2 already runs pretty well for me with the latest free drivers available on Fedora 16, and game performance only promises to get better. So I am not that unhappy about this.
              Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 20 April 2012, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                As for people complaining about AMD's support ... They have been great. More then great even. They've released specs, they've got people working for them, paying them money, to work on the open source drivers. What else can you want?
                Something that works.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Something that works.
                  And another expansion of Bridgman's team's budget so they can hire 4 more people

Comment

@chithanh

Really nice find that AMD even renamed 880G to 980G as well. But i never saw a board using it.

I do not care that much for the desktop users, this time the boards are all PCI-E and you can put in a 20$ card in case of real trouble (at the expense of a bit more power usage). But as always: laptop users are left behind. Basically it is really hard to suggest any laptop that is not Intel only (SNB or newer) to a Linux user. The muxless designs do not make it easy to use binary drivers for AMD/NVIDIA, you have to play with bumblebee or similar if you want. Even disabling the dedicated chip is not possible in every BIOS. But when you got one of those fully stripped down AMD laptops with only onboard it was not that hard to install fglrx, well most of those will need to use oss drivers in the future. I heard that there should be a xvba update coming with full support of h264 l5.1, maybe this at least happens after they dropped support for dx10 hardware. The "funny" thing however would be that some igp chips are using a weird combination of older dx10 gfx core + newer uvd...

Comment

I see this as a good thing across the board, it'll reduce their costs for supporting older hardware on newer Mesa releases as well as having to support pre OpenGL4/DirectX11 class hardware on non Windows 8 installs.

This will also help Gallium3D driver development, hopefully AMD will pick up a few more driver devs.

If you want to move to Intel, fine, they only have an OSS driver and allot more devs working on it then AMD does and yet they also drop support for recentish hardware that is usually still on the market as they tend to still push their very outdated parts onto the market for years.

Case in point, the current crop of Intel Atom based Chromebooks all using the Pineview GMA3150 which is only OpenGL2, 2 Pixel Pipelines@200Mhz and only MPEG2 hardware acceleration, it was a terrible chipset when it was new let alone all these years later. Even the current Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPUs are no competition for what you get from an AMD APU in the same price bracket.

Lastly, who gives a flying fuck about Nvidia's blob support? Nvidia is in a far worse position then AMD is as they only have their GPU business and ARM SoC business, and if they can't keep companies buying Tesla servers their high end GPU business is cooked.

Comment

Working...
                      X