Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by archibald View Post
    Not many - support got dropped :-)
    Sure, but aside from that, the technology requirements of newer games significantly outpaces the throughput that an X800 would've delivered at a decent resolution. At any rate, there's nothing holding back an X800 user from running XP and the 9.4 drivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by locovaca View Post
      ...there's nothing holding back an X800 user from running XP and the 9.4 drivers.
      That's exactly what I do - no complaints so far.

Comment

• It doesn't have to be 2022 games. Maybe some game comes out 2012 December you'd like to play and can't.

Comment

• HD Video

Just over a year ago, I bought an Acer "Netbook". I need a small, portable device that can handle HD video, and it fits the bill perfectly. I use mplayer-vaapi, and it does everything I need.

And now YOU ARE DROPPING SUPPORT FOR IT???

What are you playing at?

The open-source driver may be OK for graphics, but it can't handle HD video! And it looks as if in future, neither will I be able to rely on the proprietry driver for this either!

If it was 10 years old, I could understand it. But ONE?

Scratch one customer in future!

--
          Pete

Comment

• if it does everything you need, you don't need any updates. Congratulation, you will not have to bother.

Besides, they won't magically deactivate your driver. They just won't support your hardware when it comes to new Xorg versions (which are very underwhelming) or kernels (btw, 3.0 is a long term stable release, works great and will be around for years).

Comment

• Originally posted by pchristy View Post
              The open-source driver may be OK for graphics, but it can't handle HD video!
              It can handle HD video, but FullHD - can't. Do you have FullHD panel in your Acer "Netbook"?

Comment

• HD Video

Energyman: OK, but I'm already running 3.2.X - so I'm expected to *downgrade* - or at least freeze - the rest of my machine simply because ATI want to drop support for something only 12 months old? I don't think so!

RussianNeuroMancer: The panel is 1366x768, but the videos I need to display are full 1920 x 1080. It does this admirably with vaapi support. Without it, its useless! Also one of the reasons for getting this device was that it has an HDMI output capable of full HD on a suitable external monitor or TV - which it presently does.

I've long been an AMD fan - I still have an old K6-2 box sitting around and in occasional use. Both my desktop machines are AMD processors - but with NVidia cards because of their superior Linux support. I would have preferred NVidia graphics in the netbook, but couldn't find one that did everything I need (HD and HDMI). The Acer fits the bill, but for ANY company to drop support on something that is so recent is just beyond the pale.

AMD have just lost a long-term loyal customer. I shall not make the same mistake again!

--
                Pete

Comment

• Do you remember this article about FOSS driver?
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

• Originally posted by pchristy View Post
                    Energyman: OK, but I'm already running 3.2.X - so I'm expected to *downgrade* - or at least freeze - the rest of my machine simply because ATI want to drop support for something only 12 months old? I don't think so!

RussianNeuroMancer: The panel is 1366x768, but the videos I need to display are full 1920 x 1080. It does this admirably with vaapi support. Without it, its useless! Also one of the reasons for getting this device was that it has an HDMI output capable of full HD on a suitable external monitor or TV - which it presently does.

I've long been an AMD fan - I still have an old K6-2 box sitting around and in occasional use. Both my desktop machines are AMD processors - but with NVidia cards because of their superior Linux support. I would have preferred NVidia graphics in the netbook, but couldn't find one that did everything I need (HD and HDMI). The Acer fits the bill, but for ANY company to drop support on something that is so recent is just beyond the pale.

AMD have just lost a long-term loyal customer. I shall not make the same mistake again!

--
                    Pete
                    You could still freeze until the open source drivers do full hd nicely (shouldn't be too long is my guess

But yes, I also mentioned this earlier, hd 4000 support being cut is bad; hd 2000, 3000 support, meh.

Regarding the panel size and HD content, panel size doesn't matter, if your source is full hd, it still needs to be able to decode them, before it can be downscaled

and finally, AMD is still, way way way better then any other option. Yes they've dropped their proprietary support for relative old stuff, it's bad, but AMD is very very on the ball, when it is with their open source support AND! Yes! They do actually support it, code drops, source drops, doc drops, you name it, they do it and do it well.

Comment

• Originally posted by oliver View Post
                      Regarding the panel size and HD content, panel size doesn't matter, if your source is full hd, it still needs to be able to decode them, before it can be downscaled
                      Sure, but if panel is HD, you doesn't need to get FullHD source (is there is a choice between 720p and 1080p).

Comment

Working...
                      X