No announcement yet.

AMD To Drop Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 Catalyst Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welp, that's unfortunate. I happen to be an owner of a HD4890 in this here PC. So this is definitely not very good news.

I would be content with the open-source drivers, with the exception of a few Wine games that seem to outright crash under the OSS drivers, while working fine on FGLRX (and they are definitely not demanding, so if the issue was fixed, I would definitely be content). There are some issues with a few emulators, too, but it's to be expected. On the video acceleration side, I never got Flash with video acceleration working on any setup, anyway, so that's not much of an issue either.
    The biggest problem would probably be Unreal. It works nearly flawlessly with FGLRX now, but naturally it will be hardly playable with OSS drivers, making me dual boot for it. Then again, I need to do that to use UnrealEd either way, so perhaps that won't be that much of a problem after all...

Though if I was to upgrade, I think I'd choose NVIDIA this time. For one, I never had NVIDIA hardware for a long time, so it would be interesting for comparison. And it seems that Linux support on the NVIDIA side is better, too (although some of my friends did have problems with that, too, so it could be hit or miss).

In the end, I don't like that move and it might turn against them in the long run, but personally, even if it won't be convenient, I can live with these changes. The OSS team did a decent job, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Saist View Post
      Not really sure why it would be controversial. The last 4x00 series card released was over 3 years ago in February 2009. Anybody who was running these for OpenGL performance reasons has probably upgraded by now.

As far as driver support goes, the Open-Source driver support is pretty solid. I've been running on a Radeon 4650 GPU on the X.org driver for several months now and really haven't missed anything that would be in Catalyst. Sure, I can't really run Unigine on the driver, but, come on, again, if I was any sort of gamer, I wouldn't be using cards from 3 years ago that lacked OpenGL 4.x support.
      4890 was out in April 2009, so I'm not sure where you're looking for this info...

As for performance - see, the thing is, at least on the Windows side, the 4890 is so powerful that it doesn't need any upgrades to play the latest games. I only have very occasional slowdown in the absolute latest games, and that is because of my CPU, not the GPU! As for gaming on Linux, well, in this case it all comes down to the drivers, and not the card itself. Upgrading to the absolute latest would probably even decrease the performance at this point...

Comment

AMD still sells the 980G chipset which was released last year (with 4250 graphics): http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...g-chipset.aspx
        The situation with the 740G (Radeon 2100 graphics) chipset from three years ago is now repeating; no fully-featured drivers for modern Linux systems.

And due to AMD's rebranding-happy marketroids, they drop not only support for 2000/3000/4000 chipsets, but also 5100 and 500V series which are R700 based.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
          For people where proprietary driver support for their card is essential can easily use more conservative distros like Red Hat (and maybe also conservative Debian) based distros.
          Even Ubuntu 12.04 will be supported for 5 years, so that means until April 2017...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            at least on the Windows side, the 4890 is so powerful that it doesn't need any upgrades to play the latest games.
            Even my 4850 still does a wonderful job, honestly.
            On the other hand, this might just be one of the reason to "legacify" them.

Planned obsolescence.

Comment

Originally posted by remjg View Post
              Hi,

Sounds quite a bad news for me, I've just bought the most powerful AGP card I could find to upgrade my old computer : an Ati/AMD Radeon HD3000...
              I hope at least Gnome Shell is working right now, so I can use it for a couple of years !
              I don't care if they drop the Catalyst driver, but they need to put more manpower on the opensource side, let's hope...

R?mi.
              I think you can count on that there is the possibility of Gnome Shell working on the final release

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                Even my 4850 still does a wonderful job, honestly.
                On the other hand, this might just be one of the reason to "legacify" them.

Planned obsolescence.
                You hit the jackpot here. For example, I found out recently, that the traditional light bulbs managed to hit efficiency which allowed them to last for teens of thousands of hours. Guess what happened? An industrial mafia decided that production of long lasting ware is not profitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  is your health status fine? because: there isn't any native openGL4.x linux game.

but yes people in a madhouse also buy future products in the past to make sure they are fine in the here and now.
                  Is yours? What about Oil Rush?

Comment

Gnome Shell on proprietary drivers

Originally posted by remjg View Post
                    I know ! It's shame that the proprietary driver doesn't (didn't ?) ! The open source driver is still too slow though...
                    This seems to be the trend with proprietary drivers; with my nvidia card, I've noticed that gnome-shell actually runs a lot better on nouveau, but alas I need the Nvidia driver for other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by enrico.tagliavini View Post
                      Ok AMD just try to do that and you will never see one more $ from me and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I bought a new laptop just one year ago with a radeon card on it.
                      The same thing happened with Catalyst 9-3 and the DX9 parts (RadeonHD X1k and Mobility Radeon 2x00 were still on the shelves). You have no one to blame but yourself. Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it...

Comment

Working...
                      X