AMD To Drop Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 Catalyst Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
    Would be nice if you can report back the CPU temperatures you get in comparison to Catalyst or earlier versions of radeon.
    Right now using cpu fullpower governor it's running @ ~80?, I think the full fan power comes on a bit higher around 83? I hit that with the previous kernels and it would lower the temp to 77-78? and be on constant until I switched to dynamic gov.

Also running glxgears it gives constant ~50 fps small and there is no change when going fullscreen on the external monitor, last time I ran it it gave like several hundred fps small and would chug along fullscreen.

oh, and I use an external monitor like 95% of the time, 15 -18 hours a day with full power gov. ~8 hours a day 5 days a week for the last two years.

My previous nvidia card didn't get nearly as much use but gave up, console spotty an I can only use svga and if I connect an ext. mon. it locks up.

Comment

• Originally posted by enrico.tagliavini View Post
      AMD devs are not forced in any way to use only ubuntu to do development.
      Yes they are. Because their customers demand it. (Customer in this case means Dell.)

Comment

• Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        Yes they are. Because their customers demand it. (Customer in this case means Dell.)
        Wait, what? Are you saying Dell is forcing AMD to only update the driver when Ubuntu requires it, and forbids them to update the driver otherwise? It sounds to me like that's what you're saying, but it makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          I just upgraded to 12.10 and no longer have amd driver support for my 3470. I hope that the amd driver team gets cancer and their children get raped by filthy gypsies and their mothers get struck by lightnings while working in a whorehouse. Fuck you AMD! Fuck you! How can I get a refund you motherfuckers you stole my money you losers! AMD just fucking die already you with your shitty decisions and your shitty cpus.
          Amazing! Then the Time Machine was finally discovered and an understanding very happy AMD Linux user post from November 2012?
          Last edited by LuckyCyborg; 12 September 2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
            Amazing! Then the Time Machine was finally discovered and an understanding very happy AMD Linux user post from November 2012?
            12.10 beta 1 is available since 10.09.12

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            I just upgraded to 12.10 and no longer have amd driver support for my 3470...
            you can use r600g, which is still being heavily worked on.
            I think your aged GPU is actually one of the best supported by open driver. I think its the best that can happen to an old card. Much better than no driver at all.
            But if you are despirate and can cough some money for newer GPU, why don't you send the 3470 over to radeon developers? Ask on IRC.
            Last edited by crazycheese; 12 September 2012, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              No, its called fraud.
              Marketing equals fraud.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                12.10 beta 1 is available since 10.09.12

you can use r600g, which is still being heavily worked on.
                I think your aged GPU is actually one of the best supported by open driver. I think its the best that can happen to an old card. Much better than no driver at all.
                But if you are despirate and can cough some money for newer GPU, why don't you send the 3470 over to radeon developers? Ask on IRC.
                AMD doesn't give a f what driver Ubuntu packages. That's Ubuntu's problem, not AMD. Maybe he should go bitch to Ubuntu instead.

Comment

• An ati hd 3470 costs now around 15 ? with shipping. If you like try to sell it, a Win user might buy it. I have got a hd 4550 card as well, but i do not freak out when there is no driver update for it, then i just use a different card. pci-e cards are so easy to change, i need less than 1 min to do so, must be very hard for you to buy something that works I would not cry for a card with that value.

Comment

• There is also a separate, less frequent stream of releases for the 2000-4000 GPUs :

Phoronix article at :

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Plus the open source drivers, as others have already mentioned.
                    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      There is also a separate, less frequent stream of releases for the 2000-4000 GPUs :

Phoronix article at :

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Plus the open source drivers, as others have already mentioned.
                      Too bad this won't shut certain people up... Soooooooooooo many people going full retard...

Comment

Working...
                      X