AMD To Drop Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 Catalyst Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah!

Exactly what i was expecting from this company! Fglrx was never fully capable of driving my 4200 radeon mobility chip and now support is dropped. What exactly is the product AMD is selling to their customers? Never really working /supported then dropped ... hillarious and beyond words. I know a company who never again will see my money.

Comment

Originally posted by GrrlTlak View Post
      Exactly what i was expecting from this company! Fglrx was never fully capable of driving my 4200 radeon mobility chip and now support is dropped. What exactly is the product AMD is selling to their customers? Never really working /supported then dropped ... hillarious and beyond words. I know a company who never again will see my money.
      Last time I check power management work on 4200 chip with R600g driver. Dynpm is still flicker, by you may use auto profile, that good enough for using on laptop. So the last piece that left - hardware video decoder, but do you really watch 1080p on your laptop with probably 1366x768 screen resolution? Probably not.

Comment

It's a shame. Radeon HD 3200 and HD 3450 hardware are still sold in my favourite webshop.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          At least you can use vaapi with Intel. You can understand that move because AMD really needs to save money as they lost 590 mio $ only in q1/12. They should at least sell some fast cpus, faster than the current fx joke cpus made for gamers...
          If you read the announcement, it was 92 mil $ profit if it weren't for a one-off payment to GF.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
            The Open Source drivers may not have all the benchmark performance, but in my experience they have a stability and consistency that fglrx could never achieve in its darkest dreams.
            If this was the case i would not complain at all, but i would enjoy it with all my soul! But this is not as Michael said: the powersave if very far from optimal (and it is static, not dynamic! you have to choose if you want to burn more power and to heat your card or to have bad performances), the feature set is not on par. Even the simple desktop composite is not very smooth for me.

But you are right on what you say on fglrx. It lags behind and it is less stable, but to be honest, in the real life when i have to use my pc I can live far better with fglrx then with radeon. Of course YMMV.

Comment

How can you make catalyst 12.3 works on ubuntu precise?

I recieved this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/983580

Comment

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
                What a timing. Right now I am close to buying HD 4890. I am not that much worried because from the start I intend to use the free driver. Hopefully this event will accelerate the pace of development for the driver.
                Any particular reason you want that card? I noticed that with the open source drivers, cards within the same series tend to have roughly the same performance. If I were you I'd get something like a HD4550.

Overall I think its a little too soon for AMD to make a call like this. I understand the point of it (separating DX10 from DX11 cards) but in that case they should've gone with a new naming scheme and drop the HD part. I don't own HD4xxx hardware but that was the first good series ATI/AMD made in a long time and is still offers plenty of speed for today's games.

Considering the HD5xxx and HD6xxx series are barely any different from each other, that pretty much means AMD is working on 2 chipsets. If they continue to at least update the older chips then fine, but I just think its too soon to drop the HD4xxx series.

Comment

Originally posted by DINAMIK View Post
                  How can you make catalyst 12.3 works on ubuntu precise?
                  I recieved this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/983580
                  Your bugreport about 12.4 pre-release build, not about 12.3.

Comment

They drop support without offering an open UVD solution. Very bad

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                      Your bugreport about 12.4 pre-release build, not about 12.3.
                      (I was added to that report because my bug was detected as duplicated)
                      I have tried both ways. by manual install (following the oneiric instructions here http://wiki.cchtml.com) and by jockey. Same results

I noticed that precise instructions are revealed in that page. I will try it today. there are changes inside.

Comment

Working...
                      X