No announcement yet.

AMD To Drop Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 Catalyst Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your 2 examples are bad. You can use hdmi audio (which i think you missed) using

radeon.audio=1

override. That works up to hd 4 series with kernel 3.2 and since kernel 3.3 you can use hdmi audio with hd 5 as well (you should note that this was reverse engineered and NOT because of amd made docs public).

Next: adding s3tc support is a piece of cake. in debian multimedia is libtxc-dxtn and if you are fine with s2tc support you can use libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 (which are directly in wheezy/sid). s2tc support is also available in u precise universe repository (not really hard to understand as this a just a sid snapshot repo).

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
      AMD confirms elsewhere now.... Under Windows they call this a new 'support model' - http://www.ngohq.com/news/21725-amd-...00-series.html
      This is completely different than physically removing a driver from Catalyst. My read of that page is that Catalyst will support the 2k, 3k, and 4k series with the monthly driver release, but for months 2 and 3 there would be no changes for those particular cards. Should they continue the same model on Linux as Windows (which seems plausible given the sharing of code), there would be no change in the use of Catalyst other than the arms race for installing the latest driver once a month. And if they continue on Linux in this same regard, I would see no reason they wouldn't keep up with X.org/Kernel ABI updates. This smells like a lot of nothing.

Comment

• When you look back to 9-3 that was the last fglrx driver with r300-r500 support. But you can still get a win driver for those. Most likely because win does not change the abi so often fglrx is weird in several ways, the fglrx devs do not even add community patches to allow usage of newer kernels, no they just keep the same code forever and require externa patches. Dropping support for hardware that is still sold is just one example, there much more where fglrx does not shine. fglrx supports ubuntu releases, thats clear because ubuntu always gets prereleases where others distros do not get those. 8.96 is in precise, all others have to use 8.96 from the opencl preview, but that lacks some pci ids in the beloved /etc/ati/control file. i mentioned often enough that that those checks using the control file and the same hardcoded pci ids in aticonfig is complete nonsense but nobody ever wants to change that. amd only fixes things which they are forced by ubuntu and if somebody else has got ideas what could be improved -> just ignore it.

Comment

• Originally posted by locovaca View Post
          This is completely different than physically removing a driver from Catalyst. My read of that page is that Catalyst will support the 2k, 3k, and 4k series with the monthly driver release, but for months 2 and 3 there would be no changes for those particular cards. Should they continue the same model on Linux as Windows (which seems plausible given the sharing of code), there would be no change in the use of Catalyst other than the arms race for installing the latest driver once a month. And if they continue on Linux in this same regard, I would see no reason they wouldn't keep up with X.org/Kernel ABI updates. This smells like a lot of nothing.
          Actually, it is really simple. I asked the AMD Catalyst devs and they said they will NOT be updating to new kernels/xorg.

Comment

• Nice

It will stop putting off newbies (and hinder adoption of GNU/Linux distros).
            At most forums, fglrx figures prominently in a large number threads started by newbies.

Comment

• Originally posted by amani View Post
              It will stop putting off newbies (and hinder adoption of GNU/Linux distros).
              At most forums, fglrx figures prominently in a large number threads started by newbies.
              There is a light of hope. Free driver is getting so good, that many "newbies" will never notice it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hirager View Post
                There is a light of hope. Free driver is getting so good, that many "newbies" will never notice it.
                Except when they get a popup asking if they would like to install a restricted driver for their graphics card... Question to Ubuntu based users - does ubuntu ask you if you want to install a restricted fglrx driver for your card if it won't actually work for the card you have? I.e. they do keep a DB of working/non-working cards for the current fglrx and the X.org & kernel for the current release?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
                  Question to Ubuntu based users - does ubuntu ask you if you want to install a restricted fglrx driver for your card if it won't actually work for the card you have?
                  Except Optimus case, in most other cases answer is "no".

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
                    Except when they get a popup asking if they would like to install a restricted driver for their graphics card... Question to Ubuntu based users - does ubuntu ask you if you want to install a restricted fglrx driver for your card if it won't actually work for the card you have? I.e. they do keep a DB of working/non-working cards for the current fglrx and the X.org & kernel for the current release?
                    Ubuntu does it? Oh, yes, I forgot - I ditched it so long ago...

Comment

• Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                      Except Optimus case, in most other cases answer is "no".
                      Most likely they will go down the same route the Nvidia drivers do. If an older driver is still "supported" by Ubuntu and your card will work with it it'll still be recommended, so as long as 12.7 or whatever runs on 12.04 it'll get recommended for installation.

Comment

Working...
                      X