No announcement yet.

AMD To Drop Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 Catalyst Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official comment for win8 is nice too: win8 will ship with the last supported hd2-4k driver, no downloadable win8 driver will support those cards. Find a bug? Tough luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
      Its interesting every time I do not write the same mainstream stuff like any other the people blame me to not write the same stuff like any others do.

If you are not interested in different viewpoints or to be more specific in my viewpoint why not just put me on your ignore list ?

Your writing do not have any argument to support your claim that I?m stupid "Q. is in full throttle stupid mode" but you are free to prove it to me.
      it is not about 'not mainstream stuff' but making up stupid shit, accusing others and smearing them. That is either:

extremely stupid
      or
      extremely evil.

So, you are not stupid but an evil bastard sailing close to a criminal offense?

Comment

• Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        Except Optimus case, in most other cases answer is "no".
        They finally fixed that in 12.04. Jockey does not offer Nvidia binary on Optimus if intel driver is loaded.

Comment

• IIRC 11.10 did that already (11.04 didn't yet) but I don't have Optimus hardware here to confirm it.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
            The official comment for win8 is nice too: win8 will ship with the last supported hd2-4k driver, no downloadable win8 driver will support those cards. Find a bug? Tough luck.
            Which is pretty annoying, since there is very little reason to upgrade from a 4850. This card can still handle the latest games marvelously, so it's forced obsoletion of the most cynical kind.

Good work, AMD, annoy your most loyal customers. That's the way to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Which is pretty annoying, since there is very little reason to upgrade from a 4850. This card can still handle the latest games marvelously, so it's forced obsoletion of the most cynical kind.

Good work, AMD, annoy your most loyal customers. That's the way to go.
              What the heck did I miss? The 4850 isn't broken by the default driver, there simply are not any more updates. Where's your list of killer bugs that are still outstanding for the 4000 series driver?

Comment

• Let the fun begin with xserver 1.12 There is still no amd driver that supports it. That means you can stay with 1.11 forever. Nobody asked for 1.12 support because ubuntu used their frankenstein xserver as they wanted to have got working fglrx. So thats partly a problem caused by ubuntu as fglrx is only changed when u needs it. If you really want oss driver support you can stay with intel onboard as well, if you want raw speed over a few more gfx generations nvidia seems to be the smarter choice. Amd just wants that you sell old cards and buy new ones, nice idea to increase demand

Comment

• Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                  What the heck did I miss? The 4850 isn't broken by the default driver, there simply are not any more updates. Where's your list of killer bugs that are still outstanding for the 4000 series driver?
                  Assume the card has ten more years of life. How many new games, apps, situations is it going to see? How many of those do you think will expose a bug?

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Assume the card has ten more years of life. How many new games, apps, situations is it going to see? How many of those do you think will expose a bug?
                    Uhm, I will not assume that a 2009 era graphics card will still be running mainstream games in 2022. That's absurd. How many people are running 2012 era games on Rage 128 hardware (1999)? And even shortening the life by 5 years, how many people are running 2012 era games on Radeon X800 hardware (2004)?

Comment

• Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                      how many people are running 2012 era games on Radeon X800 hardware (2004)?
                      Not many - support got dropped :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X