Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always liked DirectFB a *lot*.

First their logo. It's a rainbow!

Then, it uses the framebuffer directly. I like that, obviously.

Then this. 1ghz pc, software rendered, and its more fluid than beos? omg :')

Comment

You forgot

> Then this. 1ghz pc, software rendered, and its more fluid than beos? omg :')

At the time I used BeOS, it was on 333MHz PC, and AFAIK video card provided very little HW acceleration, so I'm not surprised that a 1GHz PC does better!

@bountykiller: Thanks for the description.
      I'm not sure I understand your point about the difference between a "protocol" and "only a library": both have a library, and if you don't use the library in the correct way, it won't work, so each follow a protocol..

For me, the main difference is that DirectFB only work on top of unaccelerated API currently (the DirectFBGL link is broken), whereas Wayland will work both using shared memory between the client and the compositor (so using CPU rendering normally) or using a buffer in the GPU's memory (so potentially accelerated).
      Last edited by renox; 20 April 2012, 08:56 AM.

Comment

For me, the main difference is that DirectFB only work on top of unaccelerated API currently
        DirectFB is accelerated by itself. It access directly to your video card and it does not rely on other library for that.

Comment

Working...
        X