Moving window between two Xserver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving window between two Xserver?

Is it possible to somehow interconnect two Xsevers to do it? I'm really talking about separate Xservers (with one or multiple screens on each) running perhaps on completely different hardware or even separate machines.

I pretty much guess that it is not possible. If it is really so, what about wayland?

Inspired by Avatar? I don't think it is implemented anywhere. But I dare say it is possible to achieve with current technology. Someone "just" has to write the appropriate subsystem for this to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
      Inspired by Avatar? I don't think it is implemented anywhere. But I dare say it is possible to achieve with current technology. Someone "just" has to write the appropriate subsystem for this to work.
      I have seen Avatar but I don't know exactly what you mean... some multimonitor configuration or something.. ?

Comment

I meant what you meant. The transfer of a window from one device to another. You may have not noticed it, actually. It was in the scene of Jake's first synchronization.

Comment

There are at least a couple of X11 proxies which effectively allow that by proxying local X11 requests to any remote server, but I don't remember the names. Xpra, maybe?

Wayland, of course, doesn't even think that being able to display on a remote device is at all important.

Comment

Originally posted by Grawp View Post
            running perhaps on completely different hardware or even separate machines.
            So pretty much without sharing 3d acceleration anyway.

I had a hacky idea... I have not started working on it, but it would actually be really small and probably kind of work for simple things:

For every window that is about to be sent to another screen/computer, broadcast via avahi that there is this window.
            Another machine would answer to that broadcast and start a vnc viewer in listen mode and tell the broadcasting machine it is ready.
            The broadcasting machine then would start x11vnc --appshare and send the window there. Ideally it would also move the window out of the actual screen so it is hidden perhaps with wmctrl.

The good thing is that everything is already there...

That bad thing is it would probably result in problems with the keyboard focus...

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
              There are at least a couple of X11 proxies which effectively allow that by proxying local X11 requests to any remote server, but I don't remember the names. Xpra, maybe?

Wayland, of course, doesn't even think that being able to display on a remote device is at all important.
              Proxy? It is not transfer from X server to another, but merely a transfer of X server itself. Wayland "doesn't care about proxy" because it is so agnostic. It does not need another subsystem to do it because the it itself is capable of remote display.
              Last edited by Hirager; 18 April 2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                So pretty much without sharing 3d acceleration anyway.

I had a hacky idea... I have not started working on it, but it would actually be really small and probably kind of work for simple things:

For every window that is about to be sent to another screen/computer, broadcast via avahi that there is this window.
                Another machine would answer to that broadcast and start a vnc viewer in listen mode and tell the broadcasting machine it is ready.
                The broadcasting machine then would start x11vnc --appshare and send the window there. Ideally it would also move the window out of the actual screen so it is hidden perhaps with wmctrl.

The good thing is that everything is already there...

That bad thing is it would probably result in problems with the keyboard focus...
                Indeed "hacky". I imagine the better way to do it is to transfer the "memory" of application to the other device, which then can reconstruct the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
                  Indeed "hacky". I imagine the better way to do it is to transfer the "memory" of application to the other device, which then can reconstruct the window.
                  But what if it draws (some of) its content with a library that uses gpu acceleration? That would be pretty hard.

It would probably be easier when there is a good method for GPU hotpluggin/switching in X because then there would be a real method to disconnect and reconnect windows from and to an X server.

Comment

Does this mean Wayland could eventually have a compositor-directfb, that allows a Wayland compositor to run on DirectFB... (similar to how Wayland can run on X) That could drivers that can't run Wayland to run Wayland...

Comment

Working...
                    X