Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 17 Beefy Miracle Goes Into Beta

Phoronix: Fedora 17 Beefy Miracle Goes Into Beta

The Beefy Miracle, a.k.a. Fedora 17, had its delayed beta release this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still think it's better to be delayed if it's going to make the finished product much better.

I hear a lot of complaints that Ubuntu tends to be far too buggy on release because they stress the timeline too much.
    Though granted I can't confirm this, as I don't use Ubuntu.

Comment

Ideally you want to get the Beta as soon as possible.
      The goal is that you get the maximum amount of testing in before you make the final release.

Comment

They had to finish some (I believe there were two of them) features which could not be delayed to next release. The developers were forced to delay beta. If the features were anything less significant, they would be dropped, as was done before.

Comment

So much exciting computing advancement lately

As I want some serious private cloud computing instead of 'just' a 'basic Linux server', how is that OpenStack going to help me with that? (or is this standard large company stuff?)

I have a tablet with HTMLv5. That should be enough for being a terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
            Ideally you want to get the Beta as soon as possible.
            The goal is that you get the maximum amount of testing in before you make the final release.
            Of course, but they delay the whole project, so the testing time is not reduced. As well, if they find a dire problem, it's can be delayed more to make sure it works to their standard. Obviously too much delay is a problem, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
              Of course, but they delay the whole project, so the testing time is not reduced. As well, if they find a dire problem, it's can be delayed more to make sure it works to their standard. Obviously too much delay is a problem, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.
              Oh, I forgot about this one, which is also one of the reasons why I chose Fedora as my main OS.
              On the other hand, it becomes unbearable to see OpenGL 3 support enabled on my machine. But, just as Mystro256 said, one can have either stable or fresh code, but not both.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
                Oh, I forgot about this one, which is also one of the reasons why I chose Fedora as my main OS.
                On the other hand, it becomes unbearable to see OpenGL 3 support enabled on my machine. But, just as Mystro256 said, one can have either stable or fresh code, but not both.
                Exactly, although with that said, I do know some people who use Rawhide as a daily OS haha.

Comment

GDM is still giving me problems on my machine with the beta (started with Fedora 16, which is why I am using lxdm).

What would be the best way of reporting this?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                    GDM is still giving me problems on my machine with the beta (started with Fedora 16, which is why I am using lxdm).

What would be the best way of reporting this?
                    Determine steps to reproduce the bug and give the control back to developers.

Comment

Working...
                    X