Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did The NVIDIA 295.40 Linux Driver Fall Off A Cliff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did The NVIDIA 295.40 Linux Driver Fall Off A Cliff?

Phoronix: Did The NVIDIA 295.40 Linux Driver Fall Off A Cliff?

While the NVIDIA 295.40 Linux graphics driver closes a high-risk security vulnerability, there's many reports coming in that the proprietary driver's performance has effectively fallen off a cliff and also caused stability issues...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

8800GTS is dead

Seems me, along with a bunch of other users can't use their 8800GTS anymore with 295.40

I'm gonna try updating the bios on the video card to see if that's the issue

Comment

The old 320/640 variant? Did you ask in nvnews.net?

Comment

What Utter Nonsense

There is no regression that I can spot, either on G210 or 7600GT.

So where exactly is the justification for the original "article" ?

Comment

I'm still happily running 290.10, as all newer drivers make it impossible to use text virtual consoles.

Comment

More AMD-Sponsored Claptrap

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            I'm still happily running 290.10, as all newer drivers make it impossible to use text virtual consoles.
            All the machines I maintain work fine on 295.40, 295.33 so this is beginning to look a bit like more AMD clownery.

Comment

Same issue with 295.40 and an 8800GTS 320. 9500GT works fine. Downgrading to 295.33 resolved issue with the 8800GTS 320.

Arch Linux amd64 on C2D E6750.

Comment

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
                So where exactly is the justification for the original "article" ?
                Oh I don't know, maybe the numerous reports the article links to?

I don't have issues on my two Nvidia cards, but I've seen enough reports to conclude there is a real issue somewhere. The first goal is trying to figure out what is common with all people who have issues. Which means everyone with issues should post their nvidia-bug-report.sh output in a thread at nvnews. For example, when I was suddenly without display on my laptop a few drivers back, I opened such a thread and the commonality was clear very soon - it affected laptops with Geforce 6/7 cards. And soon enough, the issue was fixed. Something like that has to happen here.

Comment

No problems with the nVidia Quadro 2000m on my Lenovo W520 and an nVidia 6150SE.

Comment

8800 GTS 320/640, GTX, Ultra share the same G80 gpu. So maybe some more ppl will get this error. Hopefully there will be a fixed driver soon, maybe with kernel 3.4 support.

Comment

Working...
                    X