Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.4-rc3 Fixes Two Obscure Bugs

Phoronix: Linux 3.4-rc3 Fixes Two Obscure Bugs

Linus Torvalds announced the release of the Linux 3.4-rc3 kernel on Sunday evening...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In other nonchalant open-source news, ...
    Nonchalant: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Also, here.

Comment

Yeah, I've ever seen nonchanlant used to describe anything but a person's behavior

The people releasing Wine could be acting nonchalantly. The news itself is not.

*edit* title should read "never seen"

Comment

After a few minutes with that kernel on my atom netbook it seems that suspend 2 ram works fine but after suspend 2 disk my audio was permanently muted. Did not test other systems yet but it "feels" better than rc2 which i removed pretty fast.

Comment

Wine is an organisation and as such seen as a single person. Theoretically Microsoft could get a drivers license, except it's not human.

Being nonchalant is acting as if nothing happened; effortless or as if it's normal procedure. Given that Wine is an organisation and therefore a person (look it up; I kid you not), the word nonchalant is perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            Wine is an organisation and as such seen as a single person. Theoretically Microsoft could get a drivers license, except it's not human.

Being nonchalant is acting as if nothing happened; effortless or as if it's normal procedure. Given that Wine is an organisation and therefore a person (look it up; I kid you not), the word nonchalant is perfectly fine.
            That would be true if Michael claimed that WINE was nonchalant, but that's not what he said at all. He said
            In other nonchalant open-source news
            , calling the news itself nonchalant. News can't be acting as if nothing happened, or effortless. It's not a person or organization.

Comment

Haha News also can't break in half, yet news can be of an outbreaking nature, so news can also be of a nonchalant nature, being Wine doing a nonchalant release. Therefore, technically, it might be wrong what Michael typed, but acknowledgeing meaning, it isn't false either. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                Haha News also can't break in half, yet news can be of an outbreaking nature, so news can also be of a nonchalant nature, being Wine doing a nonchalant release. Therefore, technically, it might be wrong what Michael typed, but acknowledgeing meaning, it isn't false either. ;p
                I disagree. Nonchalant is a state of mind. News is not sentient.

Anyway, I don't really care what the official rule is - I just know that, as a native English speaker, it sounds wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Like someone created the real sentence in a foreign language, sent it through Google Translate, and came up with that at the end. You can twist your mind to understand what it's supposed to mean, but it's WRONG, and in a bizarre manner that just sounds unnatural.

Me no likey strange talky talky. That reads much more smoothly to me than Michael's phrasing.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 17 April 2012, 03:19 AM.

Comment

real nonchalance:

SPIEGEL: So you did make a mistake.
                  Padilla: No, I didn't. When I had placed the third pair of banderillas and backed off, the bull knocked me over. I fell, and he rammed his horn into my head, below the left ear. The horn came out again through the eye socket. The left side of my face was in shreds. It was a massive impact, as if a hand grenade had exploded below my mouth. But it was an accident. Things just happen.
                  SPIEGEL: You say that so nonchalantly. But it's a miracle you're still alive.

Comment

Well the English language is, after all, as bare as a language can be. Take some random languageX->Englisch and English->languageX disctionaries and you'll see that languageX->English is probably twice as thick as English->languageX.

But I get your point. I'm not a native English speaker, but there are non-native Dutch speakers in Holland and I know what they mean, but it sounds realy wrong :P

Comment

Working...
                    X