Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenIndiana Is Still Around, New Update Coming

Phoronix: OpenIndiana Is Still Around, New Update Coming

While there hasn't been much movement in the project recently, the OpenIndiana operating system is still under development as the de facto successor to OpenSolaris. The OpenIndiana team is currently readying their next update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

'A better graphics stack?' I think you've misunderstood their focus.

In any case, thanks for reporting on them at least.

Comment

Does the open-source Solaris community remain relevant?
      What are you, kidding us? Does anyone think people are building NAS boxes around ext4?

And just about all the original Solaris devs left Oracle and have their hands in Illumos now.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        What are you, kidding us? Does anyone think people are building NAS boxes around ext4?
        People building NAS boxes have very different requirements from each other depending on the use cases they are targeting but for what it is worth, many of them run XFS instead of Ext4 mainly because XFS is a older and mature filesystem that supports higher storage limits. Especially the lower end consumer devices tend to run XFS exclusively

Comment

I use xfs because it does support per directory quota while ext4 doesn't.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

ZFS

I'd think OpenIndiana is perfect for ZFS storage; I've seen the FUSE driver for Linux and the snapshot capabilities are awesome. Too bad that, as a userland driver, is too slow.

Comment

Hmm... can't say I'm a fan of either OpenSolaris or FreeBSD (I used to like Solaris a lot when it was open), but if I had to pick an OS to run ZFS, I'd pick FreeBSD.

The only reason to use Solaris today is if you're already using it.

Comment

There's also still no presence of a better graphics stack or other features to play catch-up with Linux in some areas.
                You're smoking, ?right? it's a server-oriented OS ... I would re-phrase that linux still doesn't give any presence of catch-up in technologies like ZFS or DTrace ... and no, pre-alpha crap like btrfs or systemtap doesn't count
                There are "improvements" over Solaris, in zones, smf and small stuffs on zfs ... the OS is pretty much settling after the *BIG* changes made replacing closed source stuff, stripping things from base system (for example, there was a fairly large discussion about replacing IPS, there's a project on that, don't know if it's still alive ), bugfixing and such.

Hmm... can't say I'm a fan of either OpenSolaris or FreeBSD (I used to like Solaris a lot when it was open), but if I had to pick an OS to run ZFS, I'd pick FreeBSD.
                The only reason to use Solaris today is if you're already using it.
                The FreeBSD implementation is fairly decent, but it isn't on parity with SunOS atm, now it doesn't have bad ass bugs like it used to have (some of them were show-stoppers, like a bad handling of exported/imported pools that would render system unbootable, and some others were bad, but had lighter workarounds, like bad arc behavior with system memory ), but it has some quirks ... the fun thing is that it was marked as production ready, when it was *really* far from that.

Cheers.
                Last edited by vertexSymphony; 15 April 2012, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joffe View Post
                  'A better graphics stack?' I think you've misunderstood their focus.

In any case, thanks for reporting on them at least.
                  Actually, there are some ambitions to make it able to run as a desktop os. There are some porting efforts of software such as VLC and LibreOffice.

But I understand your view and from the way I use OI a high priority on improving the graphics stack might not be sensible. However, I think at least they should make GPUs properly initialize durin bootup of OI so that the cooling fan of the graphics card don't spin at maximum speed all the time polluting the environment with a lot of needless noise.

Many, if not most GPUs need to be initialized with a proper KMS driver before they use a regulated temperature profile for the cooling fan.

Comment

Originally posted by vertexSymphony View Post
                    You're smoking, ?right? it's a server-oriented OS ... I would re-phrase that linux still doesn't give any presence of catch-up in technologies like ZFS or DTrace ... and no, pre-alpha crap like btrfs or systemtap doesn't count
                    ZFS and dtrace is were slowlaris advantages ends. SystemTap isn't pre-alpha and it's not crap compared to 99% of "features" in slowlaris that make it bloated crap. Keep in mind dtrace is coming to Linux. And while it's a server-oriented OS why it's dead on servers? Linux runs most of the servers out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X