Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Gets Into Wearable Computing, Blogging

Phoronix: Valve Gets Into Wearable Computing, Blogging

Valve is currently exploring possibilities for "wearable computing" and they're also getting into blogging...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at blogs.valvesoftware.com Port 80
    Their servers run Ubuntu

Comment

I see what they did there

They are hiring hardware engineer and also linux programmer. So they are making a console or something and will use Linux as their OS. Will release their games on that. That's seems legit.

Anyway if they also release the games for normal Linux'es then its good; but chances are small I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
        They are hiring hardware engineer and also linux programmer. So they are making a console or something and will use Linux as their OS. Will release their games on that. That's seems legit.

Anyway if they also release the games for normal Linux'es then its good; but chances are small I think.
        I would love to buy a Steam box that runs linux. If you have the game running on linux on the steam box it must be really easy to make it work for normal linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
          If you have the game running on linux on the steam box it must be really easy to make it work for normal linux.
          Not necessarily. It's the same as with Android if they were to implement their own userspace porting games from that to the "usual Linux" could be as hard as it's porting from Mac OS X to Linux or something similar. I doubt the games communicate with the kernel directly. I'm pretty sure that this has nothing to do with Linux and if it does it's about Android.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
            could be as hard as it's porting from Mac OS X to Linux
            I am not a programmer but I have always understood that porting from Mac to linux is much easier than from Win. If Valve doesn't use normal linux they would have to create something like directx. That seems pretty expensive for very little extra value.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
              Although I wouldn't bet my life on it either, a steam client for "normal Linuxes" does seem to be on the table, at least for now.

As was said in the article:
              An hour ago I got an email from one of the developers from Valve currently working on their Linux client with a subject of "Check this out..."
              Also, Ubuntu has been mentioned: https://twitter.com/#!/michaellarabe...110018/photo/1

Also, from 2010: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODIwNQ

And the actual blog post gives the impression that Valve employees are free to work on almost anything they want, so they just might make an actual steam client if they're porting to Linux anyway. And it definitely looks like that's what they're doing.

A "steam-powered" gaming console however seems to be purely speculation at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                Although I wouldn't bet my life on it either, a steam client for "normal Linuxes" does seem to be on the table, at least for now.

As was said in the article:

Also, Ubuntu has been mentioned: https://twitter.com/#!/michaellarabel/status/185822756993110018/photo/1

Also, from 2010: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODIwNQ

And the actual blog post gives the impression that Valve employees are free to work on almost anything they want, so they just might make an actual steam client if they're porting to Linux anyway. And it definitely looks like that's what they're doing.

A "steam-powered" gaming console however seems to be purely speculation at this point.
                It is a Linux desktop client (as in something that can run on Ubuntu with your AMD/NVIDIA graphics card)... Will hopefully be told more details and be allowed to share these details (in the form of videos/pictures at Valve) in less than two weeks in a Phoronix article.

Valve's flat management structure as referred to in the post is in part what's taken the Linux client longer to come about than anticipated. I quote, "So Valve is an interesting company. There are no managers and nobody tells anyone what to work on. There have always been some folks here interested in Linux (Gabe included), but they can?t just tell others to work on it. (Well, I suppose Gabe could but never would.) However we now have a group of people and..."
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                X