No announcement yet.

Unigine Engine Looks To Wasteland 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all your gfx card does not even support tesselation. Thats the point: the heaven demo heavyly uses it and the performance is therefore pretty slow. Also the 3rd person view seems to improve the speed as the models could be rendered in lower quality with increasing distance. You should better directly compare heaven to oilrush (but you need to get a better gfx card with opengl 4 support first), then you see what they have done to give increase speed a bit. Basically they dont use any fancy effects and only far distance viewpoint. I am also still waiting for a demo with benchmarking support. But coming back to the statement that the engine is slow with opengl: if you ONLY test with Linux then you totally missed the fact that it is faster with dx11 on win. Especially with ati cards the speed difference is extreme - even more when you add 2 of em. I certainly know that you can only test cf with ati cards - 2 nvidia cards would not help at all because for opengl 4 support you need fermi+. There is no sli support for opengl 4 cards on Linux. But as cf is more or less pointless on Linux i would suggest to replace the card by a faster one instead of adding a second, that only helps for win. I am pretty sure if you create a 1st person shooter with that level of detail heaven used it will run very slow. nvidia might be a tiny bit faster, usually the difference was not that big from win to linux with nvidia cards, less than 10% diff, but ati is much more. Unigine should definitely profile the engine with ati cards much more, if they only use nvidia for development they do something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Eye candy was important in Fallout 2. Does that mean that it was made to sell to idiotic kids?
      Sure it was. That is why they used the same engine as Fallout, with the same assets just with a few tweaks for better inventory management. I give you props for the attempted troll, though.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        Yeah, I'm still playing in Fallout 1, 2 and Jagged Alliance 2. The only game I can imagine that's close to their level is Fallout: New Vegas. Fallout 3 is a broken mess. I don't care how Wasteland 2 will look like. I liked Van Buren (true Fallout 3) look.
        New Vegas was definitely better than F3.

From the latest update:
        Access to a collection of exclusive Ranger portraits that will double the pool of character portraits you have to choose from at the start of the game when you are rolling up your Rangers. This unique image collection will not only give you more Ranger portraits, but more Ranger icons used to display your party location on the world map.
        That sounds like a 2D game to me. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...2/posts/208363

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Unigine should definitely profile the engine with ati cards much more, if they only use nvidia for development they do something wrong.
          Unigine does test there engine with ATI/Linux in fact ATI/OpenGL was the first combination they had tesselation working on.

Comment

I certainly know that there was a hidden value in the first release of Heaven to enable opengl tesselation on series 4 hardware - it has been removed later. I do not say they do not test those cards at all, but they seem to be ok with dx11 only optimisations. That does not help Linux users at all.

Comment

I certainly know that there was a hidden value in the first release of Heaven to enable opengl tesselation on series 4 hardware - it has been removed later. I do not say they do not test those cards at all, but they seem to be ok with dx11 only optimisations. That does not help Linux users at all.
              About 30% of our test farm are different Linux systems, we spend a lot of time on Linux compatibility and performance.

Comment

And your tests show no extreme different performance with heaven between dx11 and opengl and on your systems you get better performance using crossfire with opengl?

Comment

Binstream,

I just wanted to say thank you for supporting the open source drivers as well. With Oil Rush the performance is really impressive, all things considered. I finally had time to play past the second chapter, and it really is a lot of fun.

I'm a Wasteland 2 backer, and really hope they go with Unigine. I think it would be a nice fit for the type of game they're making. Wasteland 2 would also give Unigine a bit of publicity, and hopefully get more people interested in using it.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    New Vegas was definitely better than F3.
                    Yes, in every aspect.

From the latest update:

That sounds like a 2D game to me. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...2/posts/208363
                    I think just characters portraits will be 2D like in Neverwinter Nights. It's a good thing imho, because 2D portraits look usually better.

Comment

And your tests show no extreme different performance with heaven between dx11 and opengl and on your systems you get better performance using crossfire with opengl?
                      Here you have a test with DX11 scores and opengl scores: http://www.sweclockers.com/recension...850/7#pagehead
                      I think they are quite close in performance. However I think Nvidia and AMD spends more time on optimizing direct3d than they do with opengl because that is what most games currently use on the PC platform.
                      So I don't think we can say without a doubt that it's Unigine that is to blame here. Sure it would be great if the opengl render were better than the direct3d counterpart. But if they have to spend countless more hours on optimization than they did with the d3d render to make it happend I don't really blame them for not doing so.

Perhaps binstream can enlighten us about this matter. IE does the opengl require more optimization than the d3d one to be on pair?

BTW is crossfire even supported on linux Kano? IIRC it's not so I don't think it's relevant for us linux users ATM.
                      Last edited by ZedDB; 16 April 2012, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X