Unigine Engine Looks To Wasteland 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sverro2 View Post
    That's great news . I really like Unigine. The visuals are great with Unigine (materials look very good). Unigine handles complex lighting and I really don't have to complain about the speed of the Engine. YES: Unigine Heaven is a tough demo. Especially with tesselation on. Oil Rush however can also be played on older hardware. Can't wait for their Valley demo. If Skyrim was made with Unigine
    It's not news, it's a rumor Michael has latched onto because it's what he does on this blog. They haven't decided on the engine, yet, but have narrowed it down to two.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
      maybe unigine should have a lite version.

something that runs even on integrated graphics on most laptops would be ideal (of course depending on the game).
      I'm not talking about integrated. Unigine Heaven works very poorly on a 2500K CPU and a GTX 560 Ti. So the impression I formed about the engine is the same as the CryEngine: good for screenshots, bad for games who want to run at 60FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        It's not news, it's a rumor Michael has latched onto because it's what he does on this blog. They haven't decided on the engine, yet, but have narrowed it down to two.
        Are you looking to license the Onyx engine from them? Has inXile decided on an engine?

BF: We have narrowed it down to 2 engines (not Onyx) and are now running art tests to make sure it can accomplish the look we want. The other important factor is it needs to be set up so that we don't need high level programmers and artists to get the assets in. There will be SO many world states, quests and interactions for the player that we need to be able to throw enough scripters in to capture all the ideas and outcomes. This is critical.

Comment

Unigine Heaven is a really demanding benchmark. Using win the dx11 variant seems to be the best optimized codepath. Even the splash screen shows dx11 when you run the opengl code. Even if you disable just the default settings on the selection menu it is basically impossible to get >25 fps @ 1920x1200 with one hd 5670. But at least it scaled well using 2 cards in crossfire setup and dx11. with moderate tesselation it even got more than 40 fps (around 30 with normal). But then the opengl mode... no crossfire support on win, very low framerates. Then i thought opengl could be faster with Linux and crossfire, but: aticonfig --lsch definitely showed that the crossfire chain was correctly setup, but --cfl on (which should show a logo) never showed a crossfire logo. It was lower than 14 fps or so, no matter if cf was activated or not. I had to use 8.96 driver as 12-3 got just nice rendering artefacts. So the conclusion: interesting engine, but hard to use without buying new hardware. My two hd 5670 are the only opengl 4 cards i have got if somebody wonders - but without tesselation i do not really need that engine, it is not that impressive then also it is too slow compared to Unreal engine (at least on win). Maybe fglrx should be optimized for this engine as well as for rage (using wine). Those are the most demanding opengl engines and should work well, which is not the case. Maybe you need a highend gpu for those... Also i want working crossfire for unigine engine (i gave it up later and put in my nv 8800 gts 512 which can even run rage fine with wine - which is very well supported - with a little trick even with xbox pad). Some funny examples with 12-3 driver and crossfire:

default without tess:

all settings forced to lowest possible:

Btw. the used i7 was OC to more than 4 ghz, that should be enough
          Last edited by Kano; 13 April 2012, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Certainly interesting. As I've still yet to see what the Unigine tooling support is like, it's very hard to weigh in on it as an engine. Pretty graphics are the very least important item for a game engine, especially for games that don't plan on puttin in millions worth of art assets, animations, acting, cinematagrophy, etc. Sounds like the Wasteland team understands that. Getting a "validation" of the engine from them would be a good thing for Unigine; hence the only plausible reason they made the offer in the first place.

Comment

Lol

Complaining about Heaven running slow is stupid, it was a graphics engine demo made to max the fuck out of everything.... A bit like taking Crysis 2 DX11 with Hi-Res textures and tessellation.... it can barely make 60FPS on a high end GPU (7970 OC), but lower the settings a bit... and way more FPS, and it still looks good. That was a game, so it still ran decently at those settings. Heaven was never a game, not meant to be and has not been designed for high performance on medium hardware.

Oilrush looks good, and runs way faster then Heaven does.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                I'm not talking about integrated. Unigine Heaven works very poorly on a 2500K CPU and a GTX 560 Ti. So the impression I formed about the engine is the same as the CryEngine: good for screenshots, bad for games who want to run at 60FPS.
                Heaven isn't supposed to work well. Judging an engine's speed on a tech demo is counter-productive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post

Btw. the used i7 was OC to more than 4 ghz, that should be enough
                  heaven doesnt utilize ur cpu much i think.
                  well at least it doesnt use all the cores.
                  i get same results with all the same hardware but cpus different: E8500, Phenom 2 955 and i5 2500k
                  it seems to use only 1 core for heaven as well. heaven is still a GPU test.
                  but the engine itself should hook up some CPU also..Oilrush does use more than 1 core.

Comment

And do you think that Oilrush looks so good? I think they only used very small models compared to Heaven to gain a bit speed. Tesselation is basically not used at all and it is certainly more optimizied for speed - but basically it is slow. But what i really wanted to say: Heaven on opengl is much SLOWER at least with ati cards, i can not compare tesselation speed with nvidia. If you require a highend card for a LINUX game then you will not sell much copies. When you look at steam hardware stats even many Win users have got still slower gfx cards. That Unigine does not use all cores is not optimal as well. Rage is certainly optimizied for consoles but gives 30-60 fps with my old 8800gts512 with forced vsync. So when the drivers are good then the engine is much better.... just fglrx is a pain.
                    Last edited by Kano; 14 April 2012, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Taking those words as requirenments:
                      "Are you looking to license the Onyx engine from them? Has inXile decided on an engine?

BF: We have narrowed it down to 2 engines (not Onyx) and are now running art tests to make sure it can accomplish the look we want. The other important factor is it needs to be set up so that we don't need high level programmers and artists to get the assets in. There will be SO many world states, quests and interactions for the player that we need to be able to throw enough scripters in to capture all the ideas and outcomes. This is critical."
                      (http://nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=61315)

Unigine can't win.

I'm not a fan of Unity3D but it would give them what they want.
                      With releasing the game as Google NaCl it would also run "nativly" on Linux.

Also not to mention the huge pool of resources and knowledge for Unity3D vs. nearly nothing for Unigine.

Comment

Working...
                      X