Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Engine Looks To Wasteland 2

Phoronix: Unigine Engine Looks To Wasteland 2

The Kickstarter-backed Wasteland 2 game that's already had plans for a Linux client may be powered by the Unigine Engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To be frank, my impressions about Unigine so far is that it's a slow engine that doesn't work well for games who want to offer fluid graphics.

Is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      To be frank, my impressions about Unigine so far is that it's a slow engine that doesn't work well for games who want to offer fluid graphics.

Is it just me?
      It's probably a little too early to say one way or the other, since there is only a single game out using it. I don't think you can read much into the tech demos they're putting out.

Comment

dunno watcha talking about

Unigine worked really well with beta of Oil rush. Maybe it glitched every now and than, but it was VERY much playable and enjoyable, none the less.

Comment

Is it just me?
          Wasteland 2 is going to be a turn-based, isometric game, so probably not very demanding for any game engine.

Comment

Is it just me?
            Well, not only that, but calling an engine "great" based on nice visuals and a few tech-demos simply doesn't cut it from a developer's perspective.

If you want developers to start using your engine it must also be easy to use/integrate. How easy or difficult is it to work with this engine, in comparison to well established ones? Engines like UT are a known quantity, due to lots of people using them and giving their opinion. They are also well tested (due to lots of games using them) and you'll probably find lots of additional information about those engines (again, due to lots of people using them already). Can the same be said for Unigine? This situation won't change without anyone taking the bullet, but it's up to Brian Fargo to decide whether he's willing to take that risk.

Comment

Good news

That's great news . I really like Unigine. The visuals are great with Unigine (materials look very good). Unigine handles complex lighting and I really don't have to complain about the speed of the Engine. YES: Unigine Heaven is a tough demo. Especially with tesselation on. Oil Rush however can also be played on older hardware. Can't wait for their Valley demo. If Skyrim was made with Unigine

Comment

They're limited because of promised OS X and Linux compatibility -- not too many engines they could actually use.

They say they are looking at two different options at present, but won't mention which ones, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                  Wasteland 2 is going to be a turn-based, isometric game, so probably not very demanding for any game engine.
                  It's also going to be the game I was waiting for since 98' (when Fallout 2 appeared)! A masterpiece.

Comment

Is it just me?
                    maybe unigine should have a lite version.

something that runs even on integrated graphics on most laptops would be ideal (of course depending on the game).

also 2d and isometric is very popular again

and i think they need to offer 2 choices between paying a license and a revenue sharing model. Developers and indies can choose which one, because not everyone has upfront cash to pay for an engine (because is not always certain if your game will sell or even get finished). Also gets them more advertising if more people are using it. The lite version specially could be very popular with revenue sharing.
                    Last edited by madjr; 13 April 2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X