Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is AtomBIOS & These Different Drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you recommend killing the system with the ati installer, wow thats nice from you.

Comment

Kano, I don't think you could take what I said and turn it into what you said even with a word processor. Pretty sure I said the exact opposite - recommending packages & scripts from the distro-specific packaging experts.

I don't know if you consider your scripts to be targetted at what the OP called "non linux experts" or not, but if you do then I would add those to the list of recommendations as well.
      Test signature

Comment

Sorry, i didn't want to create havoc on the forum.

I just want to install the ati drivers on my 3 screens kubuntu computer in the simpliest way.

@Bridgman:

The only files i have modified for multiseat are xorg.conf and kdmrc, that's all.

It works only since lucid lynx with 2.6.32 kernel and vga arbiter system.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I don't know if you consider your scripts to be targetted at what the OP called "non linux experts" or not, but if you do then I would add those to the list of recommendations as well.
          What do you mean by "OP" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sebsan View Post
            What do you mean by "OP" ?
            OP is inet slang and stands for Original Poster.

Comment

Kano, I don't think you could take what I said and turn it into what you said even with a word processor. Pretty sure I said the exact opposite - recommending packages & scripts from the distro-specific packaging experts.

Not really experts, but at least advanced user or those that are wiling to learn and want to get more out their system with minimal risk, compared to official drivers distributed with a specific distro that could mess things up...

I installed the drivers by his script with Kernel 2.6.34 and managed to remove them with no problems. So that's something... yet something that comes from Arch linux which is not average users friendly, but with his script which ads even more is doable with few simple commands (something that an expert user would do manually in minutes or even close the one hour).

On the other hand, when it comes to ATi drivers and Linux - we should count more on Open Source Drivers from now on (as in latest kernels and the ATi open source support), since FGLRX have their priority for professionals as in 3D workstation... and those have other needs then average users.

Comment

Update for Sebsan :

Looks like there is a problem using MultiView (multiple screens on multiple GPUs) with Ubuntu 10.04 due to interference with the VGA arbiter. I imagine the problem would show on any distro with a similar or newer kernel.

I don't know of a simple workaround so currently the only option is to code around it in the driver. In the meantime you might want to try (K)ubuntu 9.10 on a spare partition and confirm that your configuration works OK there.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  OP is inet slang and stands for Original Poster.

Comment

Looks like there is a problem using MultiView (multiple screens on multiple GPUs) with Ubuntu 10.04 due to interference with the VGA arbiter. I imagine the problem would show on any distro with a similar or newer kernel.
                    Thank you bridgman, you confirmed me there is a real problem with fglrx and vgaarb. Is that i thought but i couldn't be sure.

In the meantime you might want to try (K)ubuntu 9.10 on a spare partition and confirm that your configuration works OK there.
                    I tried my conf with Ubuntu, Xubuntu and then Kubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 before having something working with the 10.4 and the vga arbiter.
                    I can't downgrade...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      The ati installer has options to build packages, those work when you stick with the default kernel (2.6.32). My script currently tunes that up to 2.6.34 using patches from arch.
                      This solution is interesting but i'm using VMware Player 3.0.1

I'm affraid of a VMware incompatibility with the experimental 2.6.34 kernel.

With Kubuntu 10.4 alpha in Febuary, i already needed a non official patch from VMware for Player 3.0.0

Comment

Working...
                      X