Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian kFreeBSD vs. Debian Linux vs. FreeBSD 9

Phoronix: Debian kFreeBSD vs. Debian Linux vs. FreeBSD 9

Here are some benchmarks comparing Debian GNU/kFreeBSD with the new 9.0 kernel, Debian GNU/Linux with the Linux 3.2 kernel, and FreeBSD/PC-BSD 9.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

not surprised. there is a reason that linux is more popular in the enterprise. zfs is all they got and before that they had the cutting edge ufs

Comment

It just kind of not surprising, given that FreeBSD base compiler is still gcc 4.2.1.
      It would have been interesting to see such benchmark with software build with more recent compiler.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
        It just kind of not surprising, given that FreeBSD base compiler is still gcc 4.2.1.
        It would have been interesting to see such benchmark with software build with more recent compiler.
        There was comparison between Linux and kfreebsd - both with Debian userspace and the same compiler. Linux beat the crap! You got the link in this article.
        Last edited by kraftman; 11 April 2012, 02:22 AM.

Comment

perhaps they should use the precious clang they talk so much about.

Comment

Debian kFreeBSD does downright decent in a lot of those benchmarks. It would be nice if all of them featured all three of the OS/kernel combinations.

I'd also like to know whether the benchmarks where Deb. kFreeBSD did poorly are ones which would concern someone who just used a desktop regularly (office apps, web browsing, light graphic editing) or played a game here or there. I know I'll probably never install it as my main OS, but I would like to try it out one day.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              perhaps they should use the precious clang they talk so much about.
              Clang is EVEN SLOWER though! LMFAO

Comment

Working...
              X