Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catalyst shit 12.3 - Can help me with install ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    If you have got an install with loaded fglrx module but borken userspace it would try to stop the xserver and install it then. that will not work in most cases. Usually you break ubuntu when you run the installer without buildpkg option. the next ubuntu update will kill it when it tries to install the fglrx driver via jockey.
    Kano I have to admit I have very little idea what you're talking about :S I'm still learning a lot here... Any chance you could try that again in English?

Comment

As soon as you call the amd-installer without buildpkg option it directly writes files at places which will NOT be the position you get with the fglrx ubuntu package. jockey is the name of ubuntu's the restricted modules manager and allows the install of binary drivers from the ubunut repository. When you mix that your system will most likely break on the next update. As U has got latest 8.96 drivers for 12.4 i would not use the amd-installer at all for this version. My script basically checks for the Ubuntu version, then it installs the needed depends (maybe a few more which have been needed for older releases, some will fail on newer distributions but those are not critical) then it applies patches to the fglrx module for better kernel support if needed. In case of Ubuntu it just creates the packages using buildpkg option, deletes all older fglrx packages, installs the new ones, calls aticonfig to write a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. This step is not done by ubuntu normally as they install one additional package which i just delete as it is not required (and useless) on Debian. The script therefore works on Debian up to Squeeze, it does not (yet) work for Wheezy/Sid. There i patch some things to use Ubuntu packages on Debian. With current drivers i would not need to patch that much (just a few depend issues), informer i needed to override the XORG driver version depending on the installed X because up to 3 different variants have been shipped in the amd installer - this is now unified.

This was the general way what my script does, but what is also different is what happens when it detects radeon kms drivers nor not. Compared to nouveau kms which can be unloaded with a trick and then you can switch over to nvidia binary (using screen) this is not possible for fglrx. It worked with radeon without kms, but not always. It works more often when (older) fglrx is running, but not in all cases. You need to stop X in that case then you unload fglrx and install everything then you start X up again. This way you can avoid a reboot. If you want to make it saver you can FORCE the script not to stop X at all even when it would be possible in theory. The "-z" option is just for this and is default when radeon kms is detected. In that case you have to reboot to activate fglrx.

But: i only test Ubuntu when a new release is in first alpha or directly after release. Usually it should work in the development time between as well, but i have got no permanent U install.

Comment

Hi all,

I remembered from a few threads ago about failed to compile module.
        You need to look at the log, find a file called uaccess_xx.h and delete the "else ... endif"
        for a total of 3 lines to compile.

br,

Comment

Originally posted by iczer1 View Post
          Hi all,

I remembered from a few threads ago about failed to compile module.
          You need to look at the log, find a file called uaccess_xx.h and delete the "else ... endif"
          for a total of 3 lines to compile.

br,
          Still, getting a newer kernel shouldn't be needed to get fglrx up and running on a released version of Ubuntu.
          If the installation goes wrong with the stock kernel, usually the reasons are:
          - Lack of some required packages to build the module, see the cchtml wiki
          - Having left-overs from Jockey
          - To be on the safe side, switch to a tty and stop Xorg when installing:
          Code:
          sudo service lightdm stop
          - If you build .deb packages, remember to run
          Code:
          sudo aticonfig --initial -f
          to get your xorg.conf prior to rebooting, and remember to delete that file when uninstalling

You know... Stuff you learn when actually reading available information...

Comment

first of all, don't post output in your fairy tale language and expect help.

second, 12.3 works fine. If you can not install it, blame yourself or the guy who packaged it for your broken distribution.

gentoo works.

Comment

Working...
            X