Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Linux friendly Kickstarter projects

What is the status on Mac and Linux?

Linux and Mac is something that was planned from the start. This is our engine, so we can do with it what we want. It had build targets for OpenGL (the graphics renderer on Mac and Linux) that actually worked at some point, but along the way we decided to postpone that support and focus on gameplay. We are still going to do this, but probably after the Windows version is finished. All the owners of Divinity: Original Sin, however, will receive these versions for free.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...y-original-sin

First, I never use CAPS, but you really REALLY are screwing up here and I feel the emphasis is essential.

Marketing lesson #1 GET THE FUCKING LINK RIGHT. I cannot stress this enough. The link to your Kickstarter page is http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/.../build-a-world I know you're busy bees making this game but you have two other links that are broken that I'm not going to fix for you.

Marketing lesson #2 in regards to Kickstarter. Not everyone will like your project, but that doesn't mean they won't support. $25 Euro is the minimum for me to get something?! You don't have a full product yet, I may be interested by the video demo that I cannot play myself (actually not really, this is like Sim City but harder, and I sucked donkey balls at Sim City), however I'de totally chip in $10 if I got a copy. But YOU DONT HAVE A REAL PRODUCT. Don't charge FULL PRICE for something that doesn't exist. Oh, AND YOU ARE TAKING IT AWAY FROM ME AFTER 6 MONTHS. We're going out on a limb to support someone who doesn't have something that really exists, be grateful!! Be VERY grateful! When you take something away from someone after charging them LOTS, that's being an ass. Most Kickstarter games give me a FULL copy for $10 that is mine FOREVER and I can usually download it as many times as I need at no extra cost.

Even though I wouldn't really play this game, the fact that it looks like something my partner would like and is supported on Linux makes me want to give you money. But I don't know what our life will be like when you release. I don't know if either of us will have time in those 6 months to play at all. I could be spending $25 and get nothing out of it, then have to spend it AGAIN just to see what I funded. When someone does a kickstarter for funding and then gives away the product, you can get away with higher prices a little more (but still probably won't work well).

#3 After people are GIVING you money, DONATING you your funding, you are MAKING MORE MONEY and NOT GIVING A PENNY back to the original funders. That's real douche behavior. Most kickstarters are supposed to FULLY FUND your project from start finish, INCLUDING SALARIES. You're not really doing that, but that's kinda the purpose of giving someone money before the product exists. On top of that, YOU'RE CHARGING THE BACKERS AGAIN AFTER SIX MONTHS!!!! AFTER THEY WENT OUT ON A LIMB AND GAVE YOU MONEY WELL BEFORE YOU GAVE THEM ANYTHING!!!!!!

In short, I'm not an idiot and there are other projects that won't try to squeeze me for every penny. Good luck, I sincerely mean that, and I hope you learn some lessons from this. Apologies for the yelling, you're not the only Kickstarter project to do this kind of thing, but it reeks of a lack of understanding on how Kickstarter works. It's also really miser behavior and that gets my goat.

Quote Originally Posted by DevSH View Post
    Hey guys, we are doing poorly with publicity right now

so even if you dont pledge, please share the link to our kickstarter EVERYWHERE
    (most of our youtube page views and kickstarter pledges come from denmark, so we are having problem with reaching the world wide audience with a marketing budget of 0$ for the kickstarter)

Funding ends on 4/20 (Phoronix is american right?)

Our game is called Build A World, that we have been developing over the past 18 months. We welcome any questions, comments or suggestions on our facebook page (see below), where you can also follow our progress.

Confirmed: Coming to Linux & Mac!

It's about time, but we are extremely happy to announce that Divinity: Original Sin will now definitely be coming to Mac & Linux. We will do everything we can to ensure that the release dates are going to coincide with the Windows PC release, but if that doesn't happen, it will be shortly after.
    yay!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

Quote Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
    yay!!!!!!!!!!1111111111
    Wow, yeah, this looks amazing.

Why are you linking to something that is trending toward 11% of its goal and hence has no chance of making it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
    Why are you linking to something that is trending toward 11% of its goal and hence has no chance of making it?
    Then more reasons to link it and advertise it, right? It needs all the help it can get!

Quote Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
    Then more reasons to link it and advertise it, right? It needs all the help it can get!
    You could say that if it was trending towards say 75% or something. But this is trending towards 11% it has no chance at all to make it. Even if your efforts could increase the trend to 5 fold its current level it would still be a long shot and ofcourse your efforts can't make even a fraction of the difference needed to even get there. All linking to such projects does is disappoint people who actually expect to see more games coming to Linux.

Much better to link to Kickstarter projects that will actually make it such as Road Redemption which is trending towards 168% and will actually have its source code and art assets released for modders to play with(presumably without Unity's source code which they can't re-distribute).

Edit:

Sanguine Nights' trend is actually down to 8% now. Which is why we shouldn't waste our time, energy and resources and projects like it.

Edit2:

For people wondering were I have my numbers from, they are from Kicktraq. In fact I have the Chrome addon so I don't even need to go to the Kicktraq website to see these things. I never back projects that are looking to fail. For game projects I only back them if they are looking to be successful(or on the cusp of being successful) AND have Linux support AND are going to be DRM-Free AND have interesting concepts and/or by development studios I want to support.
    Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 04-13-2013 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
    The better question is why is he linking to a game that has no chance of being released for the amount they are asking?

Shadowrun: Returns will be Steam only to non-backers and they made horrible compromises in game mechanics just to be able to afford to send out the physical rewards.

Expeditions: Conquistador is now over a month late, but rather than fixing the massive amount of bugs from their beta they are working on multiplayer.

Legends of Eisenwald took a loan out from a Russian loan shark, sorry, producer and will be delayed until September.

All three of these kickstarters asked for more money than "TeamRavenous" and are now clearly out of money, either due to rank amateurism in not knowing how to budget properly or simply over selling what they could possibly deliver.