No announcement yet.

LF Collab 2012: Killing Blobs, Wayland, DTrace, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have only this to say: I'm not spending $100+ on an OS (license) that I'll only use for browsing the web. Yes, you'll pay that much for Windows (or OS X before they became upgrades) if you aren't buying in bulk or OEM licenses. Of course, for the average consumer that cost is subsidised somewhere in the cost of their new computer, or they only need an upgrade which costs some fraction of a new license.

Operating systems with a Linux kernel provide a good alternative to Windows if all you do is browse the web. They may not be the best, but Linux provides a very good base with wide hardware support (including or excluding graphics drivers), and there are usable desktop environments that work ontop of it. Haiku, etc., are good (some would--I might even--say great) alternatives as long as your hardware is supported, but if it isn't then what do you fall back on? Either Linux, a BSD, OS X (almost, or really not an option for 3rd party hardware) or Windows.
    Last edited by Nobu; 08 April 2012, 04:58 PM.

Comment

I just want Wayland to provide a good interface for doing many things.
      Make sure it supports multiple output and input devices.
      (If somebody has four screens three mouses and two keyboards connected to his/her computer it should also just work.)
      Make sure things that can be modular are done so and don't make it difficult to make hardware acceleration for everything.

I'm hoping wayland and other new technologies would allow for relatively long period of stable api's.

Comment

Working...
      X