No announcement yet.

Catalyst 7.12 - PreInitDAL failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what modules do you load in section modules in your xorg.conf?what modules do you load in section modules in your xorg.conf?

See this Thread. The same problem occurs on Gentoo and Fedora, maybe I'll also try it on Debian but I don't think it'll be other there.

My modules in Gentoo are glx, dri, dbe and freetype, which worked perfectly with 8.43.
    In Fedora I only load glx and dri.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
      http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7044
      See this Thread. The same problem occurs on Gentoo and Fedora, maybe I'll also try it on Debian but I don't think it'll be other there.

My modules in Gentoo are glx, dri, dbe and freetype, which worked perfectly with 8.43.
      In Fedora I only load glx and dri.
      assure that you have
      Section "DRI"
      Group "video"
      Mode 0660
      EndSection
      and
      Option "no_accel" "no"
      Option "no_dri" "no"
      in your section device.
      this should do

Comment

...Did that, but first have to reinstall 8.44

EDIT: nope, doesn't work, same errors.
        Last edited by NeoBrain; 23 December 2007, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
          ...Did that, but first have to reinstall 8.44

EDIT: nope, doesn't work, same errors.
          the last thing you could try is removing the kernel agpgart and set useinternalagpgart to yes. here http://debian.wgdd.de/temp/fglrx_man/fglrx.4x.html
          you can have more info about ati agp setting in xorg.conf. maybe the problem is related to the wrong agpgart use.

Comment

I have have tried that to before, but it neither worked..
            I'll play around with the AGP options a bit when I have some free time again.

Comment

I'll play around with the AGP options a bit when I have some free time again.
              remember that you'll have to remove the kernel agpgart before using the internal one. else it will not work.

Comment

Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
                remember that you'll have to remove the kernel agpgart before using the internal one. else it will not work.
                My genkernel test was a disaster, X crashes on startup no matter what version of fglrx I used.

Comment

Oh well, that's nice to see... fglrx doesn't accept using it's own agpgart anymore...
                  My Xorg.log says that the Option "useInternalAGPGART" is set to "yes" but later it says that it doesn't use the build-in one...

Comment

My genkernel test was a disaster, X crashes on startup no matter what version of fglrx I used.
                    genkernel should never be used. it's the worst configurator that i've seen... it's really awful...

My Xorg.log says that the Option "useInternalAGPGART" is set to "yes" but later it says that it doesn't use the build-in one...
                    you have to force if the things are as this.

try setting these after you're sure to have removed the agpgart module and the modules that need it from the kernel:

Option "BusType" "AGP" #set this only if you're sure to have an agp card, otherwise might happen hw problems.
                    Option "ForceGenericCPU" "no" #we try to tell the driver to use its gpu
                    Option "KernelModuleParm" "agpgart=0" # we tell the driver to use its internal agpgart
                    Option "KernelModuleParm" "agp_try_unsupported=1" #we use this later to try fixing the agpgart stuff not loading by setting the try unsupported chipsets.

with these it should work.

Comment

Well, I have completely removed the agpgart module and now fglrx says it can't find the agpgart module.
                      xorg.log:
                      (**) fglrx(0): using built in AGPGART module: no
                      (**) fglrx(0): KernelModuleParm: "agp_try_unsupported=1"
                      (**) fglrx(0): ATI GART size: 256 MB
                      (II) fglrx(0): [pci] find AGP GART
                      (EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_ENODEV"
                      (EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP
                      My Device section in xorg.conf so far is:
                      Section "Device"

# Driver "radeonhd"
                      Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
                      Driver "fglrx"
                      Option "MaxGARTSize" "256"
                      Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "yes"
                      Option "TexturedVideo" "true"
                      Option "Textured2D" "true"
                      Option "AGPMode" "8"
                      Option "UseFastTLS" "2"