No announcement yet.

Catalyst 7.12 - PreInitDAL failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a strange mode at one point also, the display said it was 1680x1050@75, it only gave a black screen and a xorg lockup. It wasn't however when I was playing around with that nativemodes setting, there's a huge amount of settings for the DAL, you can find them by "strings fglrx_drv.so | grep DALRULE -i". (I was trying to get widescreen resolutions to work, didn't work).

NOTE: Playing around with those settings might be dangerous to your videocard or monitor.

This only shows a part of the settings, not all of them start with DALRULE. I tried several ones there that I thought might allow custom modelines, but none of them did. Albeit I can't be sure of the format they use.

Also note that if you add modelines, it'll add a corresponding line to that file, which I found curious.

Comment

Originally posted by maligor View Post
      I got a strange mode at one point also, the display said it was 1680x1050@75, it only gave a black screen and a xorg lockup. It wasn't however when I was playing around with that nativemodes setting, there's a huge amount of settings for the DAL, you can find them by "strings fglrx_drv.so | grep DALRULE -i". (I was trying to get widescreen resolutions to work, didn't work).

NOTE: Playing around with those settings might be dangerous to your videocard or monitor.

This only shows a part of the settings, not all of them start with DALRULE. I tried several ones there that I thought might allow custom modelines, but none of them did. Albeit I can't be sure of the format they use.

Also note that if you add modelines, it'll add a corresponding line to that file, which I found curious.
      there was a report of Compxpert in the catalist 7.12 thread about the resolution issue solved after adding the full modeline to the modes section, setting an identifier for it and use it as preffered mode in the monitor section. he said that there was a nice guide on how to set a modeline for your desired resolution from your xorg log. i'll try asking him to point out that site so that others could use it.
      if you want to try out this thing go here http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...t=7007&page=29 and search for one of my last posts in this page (not the first post). in short you have to look at you xorg log and find out what resolution it finds from the monitor edid (it should fine the higher ones), then search on google how to extract them and create a modeline (i'll ask compxpert to post the how to he found) and then add option "PrefferedMode" "Mode[0]" where mode[0] is the identifier for the mode which contains your modeline and try restarting xorg after controlling that the horizontal refresh in the monitor section is high enough to load it. so if it doesn't work the first time try commenting the horiz and vert refresh lines in the monitor section.

Comment

Simple 'workaround to PreInitDAL failed mesage in ATI drivers

Obviously a workaround is to use the last working version of the driver. As I use gentoo I have a record of the last working version and can go back yo that - in my case ati-drivers-8.433.
        I only updated as I like to keep up to date not because I need any of the changes.

Comment

Originally posted by domi View Post
          I've resolved a similar issue on my X1650 (PCIe) by removing all options from the Device section.

Weirldy enough, the XV overlay is still working (although with the usual tearing and horrendous scaling)

HTH
          Well, XV and 3D work with Xorg 7.2, but not with Xorg 7.3 (Debian). Go figure...

Comment

i found a solution to the problem (at least for me)

check my bugzilla post:

basically delete the DALObjectData0 (or maybe DALObjectData1 for some other people) from /etc/ati/amdpcsdb

good luck

higuita

Comment

Solved

I finally figured out what is causing this issue (at least on my box).

amdpcsdb.default is not getting installed by the installation script. Below is a patch for gentoo. You should also be able to extract the installation file and copy amdpcsdb.default into /etc/ati by hand as well.

Code:
              --- /usr/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1-r1.ebuild  2007-12-24 20:36:40.000000000 +0100
              +++ ati-drivers-8.452.1.ebuild  2008-01-18 17:18:50.000000000 +0100
              @@ -302,7 +302,7 @@
                      # etc.
                      insinto /etc/ati
                      # Everything except for the authatieventsd.sh script.
              -       doins common/etc/ati/{logo*,control,atiogl.xml,signature}
              +       doins common/etc/ati/{logo*,control,atiogl.xml,signature,amdpcsdb.default}
                      if use acpi; then
                              doins common/etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh
                      fi

Comment

Why do you use so static code? Can't you copy all files in that dir? Would be less problematic when the content changes - if you really dislike one file then how about removing it later?

Comment

Working...
                X