Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know when OpenSource ATI GPUs power options are fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, It looks like they doesn't do that already but complaining about Linux engineering benefit/budget bla bla. It's ironic that company like AMD talking about hiring "a half dozen" engineer at a year since there are much work are waiting...
    I wish they fix their linux drivers soon. If they don't, I (we) will fix it simply by choosing another brand on next GPU shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Knight View Post
      For me, It looks like they doesn't do that already but complaining about Linux engineering benefit/budget bla bla. It's ironic that company like AMD talking about hiring "a half dozen" engineer at a year since there are much work are waiting...
      I wish they fix their linux drivers soon. If they don't, I (we) will fix it simply by choosing another brand on next GPU shopping.
      They are not interested in Linux. Thats the idea. They are paid not to. Imagine this: they are not interested in external monetary fund just for linux drivers. How *ucked up can this be, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        Yep, that is right but: what do you intend to buy then? None of the others is any better.
        Intel has better power management, also the cpu is faster. Even if the gpu sucks power management is more important in a laptop.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'd love to use the open source drivers and cannot because of missing power management, but I don't find fglrx to be that bad. My E-350 APU is running fglrx on Ubuntu 12.04 without any problems at all. Also I watch videos with XBMC-XvBA (UVD3).

Comment

Originally posted by Death Knight View Post
            It's ironic that company like AMD talking about hiring "a half dozen" engineer at a year since there are much work are waiting...
            Sorry, when did this happen ? I'm pretty sure I see all the outgoing communication related to Linux and I've never seen anything like this said.

We did hire two additional engineers to work on the open source drivers last year as you know.

Bigger question, what happened to the whole "if only AMD would provide basic programming info the community would take care of writing open source drivers" idea ? That was what everyone was saying at the start of the project, not "let's blame AMD for not writing the whole open source driver themselves".
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Bigger question, what happened to the whole "if only AMD would provide basic programming info the community would take care of writing open source drivers" idea ?
              Eheh I do agree. By the way, why is the community more involved in the nvidia reverse engineering? That's quite strange indeed...
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                Imagine this: they are not interested in external monetary fund just for linux drivers. How *ucked up can this be, I don't know.
                What you mean is "they don't think that setting up the external monetary fund just for Linux drivers *themselves* is a good use of *their* time, since all of the suggestions so far end up assuming that *they* (AMD) will be the ones putting the money into it".

If you have a suggestion for setting up an external fund that doesn't involve us turning our developers into fundraisers or redirecting our own funding that's fine, but I haven't heard anything like that yet.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  what happened to the whole "if only AMD would provide basic programming info the community would take care of writing open source drivers" idea ?
                  Haha. Yeah, that used to be the party line. All talk, no substance.

The question I have is, do the available docs allow the community to write better power management? And how close could the open driver get to catalyst in terms of power consumption?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    Eheh I do agree. By the way, why is the community more involved in the nvidia reverse engineering? That's quite strange indeed...
                    More nvidia hardware available inside the community?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                      More of a challange? More fame?

I find that strange too. But even pathscale did it. If I were a company who wants to do some open source GPGPU what would I take? The hardware from the company that provides no documentation and a vendor specific API or the hardware from the company that provides documentation, official support, even pays some people to develop the driver, and an open standard that is supported on most graphics hardware?
                      ... And thus it got to be a fork of nouveau using cuda.

Comment

Working...
                      X