No announcement yet.

X/Wayland Is Coming Along Nicely, But Work Is Left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayland doesn't, and will not depend on systemd. XWayland may use systemd in the future, but that doesn't stop you from not using that dependency and manually opening an X server yourself. In other words, I'm sure it'll be an optional dependency, if it's ever depended on at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dacresbu View Post
      It will provide a more direct path to the rendering hardware instead of having to go through X. it just opens a display and puts up a GL context and pushes frames (i think)
      DRI provides a direct path that circumvents X. Wayland will not make OpenGL any faster.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        He also has news about Unigine, Valve, and a boatload of other proprietary software.

Open Source advocates generally prefer whatever software does the best job, believing that Open development processes produce better software. The iOS hardware and OS still beat the Android OS (which is also not fully Free) and other OSes hands-down (a bit subjective, yes, I admit), so even if Open Source is better in general, in the specific case of phone OSes the proprietary iOS may (again, somewhat subjectively) still be the better choice for real-world products.
        Is there someone out there that proclaims himself an open source advocate and ACTUALLY happens to use Linux (or any other FLOSS OS) as his primary operating system?

If Linux is so useless that everyone uses OSX/iOS or Windows in the real world, and if it has usage statistics that are so hopelessly low, I'm wondering why Valve plans to port Steam over it... I really don't get it.

Does at least Torvalds use his creature? or even he lives in the Mac world? at this point it wouldn't surprise me...

Comment

IIRC Linus had Fedora on Mac hardware, so best of both worlds?

Comment

Speaking of the Wayland clipboard, did they fix this X design flaw where you close a window and your clipboard is gone? This bug have been open for years and no one have been able to fix is simply because it's the way it works in Xorg.
            Wayland seems like the perfect opportunity to do such a thing, let's just hove they do.

Comment

Originally posted by VictoireDuPeuple View Post
              Speaking of the Wayland clipboard, did they fix this X design flaw where you close a window and your clipboard is gone? This bug have been open for years and no one have been able to fix is simply because it's the way it works in Xorg.
              Wayland seems like the perfect opportunity to do such a thing, let's just hove they do.
              So one guy bends over backwards to come up with a new display system and this the thing you thought you should bring up first? I've been using Linux for years and not once have I stumbled upon this bug (but I imagine it's not that hard to trigger and rather annoying when it happens). Thanks for registering to share that with us.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I've been using Linux for years and not once have I stumbled upon this bug
                That's probably because you aren't using X.org's clipboard manager but something different like Klipper (KDE) or Gnome clipboard manager. It's kinda easy to imagine how annoying it can be: You copy an url from a browser and close it and then try to paste it but woops... you can't. You try to go back but you can't remember what the url was. Have fun finding it again.

Comment

Oh my

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                  That's probably because you aren't using X.org's clipboard manager but something different like Klipper (KDE) or Gnome clipboard manager. It's kinda easy to imagine how annoying it can be: You copy an url from a browser and close it and then try to paste it but woops... you can't. You try to go back but you can't remember what the url was. Have fun finding it again.
                  I now know why I've spent years reopening things because I forgot to paste first before closing. Why? It all makes sense now!

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                    It's called "browser history" ... in any case, yeah, this is an annoying bug

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                      Too much hype but very little action.

Don't get me wrong, I know things are currently being developed, but when are we going to be able to run things like KDE and Gnome on Wayland?
                      i think this is up to the Desktop environment people

some -if not all- apps run but we haven't seen a full desktop.

if someone knows whats keeping the DEs back he can write

Comment

Working...
                      X