Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X/Wayland Is Coming Along Nicely, But Work Is Left

Phoronix: X/Wayland Is Coming Along Nicely, But Work Is Left

Keith Packard spoke on Wednesday of the 2012 Linux Foundation Collaboration concerning Wayland and its backwards compatibility support for X applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

can phoronix talk about the positive effect wayland will have for gaming on linux

It will provide a more direct path to the rendering hardware instead of having to go through X. it just opens a display and puts up a GL context and pushes frames (i think)

Comment

actually most problems with video in linux are not inherently because of x.org. they are because the driver's suck. but yeah, I want to go into time and see when linux desktop has a mature audio/video stack.

Comment

Compatibility

Will wayland be FULLY backward-compatibile with X11, a drop-in replacement, or should we rather expect some degree of compatibility with well-behaved applications unless they rely on API x or depend on some behaviour of API y?
        I'm not a big fan of the throwing out of babies with the bath water that sometimes happens in the open source world.

Comment

Originally posted by peppepz View Post
          Will wayland be FULLY backward-compatibile with X11, a drop-in replacement, or should we rather expect some degree of compatibility with well-behaved applications unless they rely on API x or depend on some behaviour of API y?
          I'm not a big fan of the throwing out of babies with the bath water that sometimes happens in the open source world.
          "legacy" applications will just run on the xserver which will run as a wayland client.

Comment

I'm a bit disappointed that Michael - a self proclaimed open source advocate - has an Iphone

Comment

Wait just a second. Did you say iPhone?

Comment

Damn. If there was something to make sure even less people want Wayland it's making it depend on systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                  I'm a bit disappointed that Michael - a self proclaimed open source advocate - has an Iphone
                  He also has news about Unigine, Valve, and a boatload of other proprietary software.

Open Source advocates generally prefer whatever software does the best job, believing that Open development processes produce better software. The iOS hardware and OS still beat the Android OS (which is also not fully Free) and other OSes hands-down (a bit subjective, yes, I admit), so even if Open Source is better in general, in the specific case of phone OSes the proprietary iOS may (again, somewhat subjectively) still be the better choice for real-world products.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    He also has news about Unigine, Valve, and a boatload of other proprietary software.

Open Source advocates generally prefer whatever software does the best job, believing that Open development processes produce better software. The iOS hardware and OS still beat the Android OS (which is also not fully Free) and other OSes hands-down (a bit subjective, yes, I admit), so even if Open Source is better in general, in the specific case of phone OSes the proprietary iOS may (again, somewhat subjectively) still be the better choice for real-world products.
                    What's the point of this comment while everything you have written is nothing, but a subjective opinion? It's very hard to imagine an iOS being better while it had huge problems in bringing multitasking which was present on Android. Michael is not only using iPhone, Mac, but also writes very often about Apple sponsored Clang/llvm. In the past there was even article written by some proprietary troll who was claiming proprietary and BSD licenses are better for Linux to succeed. This looks suspicious.

Comment

Working...
                    X