Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 Is A Mixed Power Story

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 Is A Mixed Power Story

Similar to the mixed boot performance results for Ubuntu 12.04, the power consumption results are also mixed. For some hardware, Ubuntu 12.04 is the most power efficient Ubuntu Linux release in recent history while for some other hardware the Precise Pangolin is continuing in a power binge.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Screenshot from the article:

Either my eyes are getting really old, or the text is unreadable
    Opera is clearly picking a bad font at these sub-8px sizes, but even the font used by rsvg-convert is not much better:

Please use 8px minimum. Preferably 10 :P

Comment

Hmmmm... the text on firefox looks fine.

Anyhoo, big round of applause to the nouveau team. Your graphics drivers are getting faster, without sacrificing efficiency. Which brings me to my main point. These benchmarks with their associated power consumption are great - however, I'd really like to see how the efficiency is changing i.e. graphs of fps/watt, requests/watt, etc.

At least for a graphics stack on a mobile computer, there may be situations in which you would not want to sacrifice efficiency for performance. As soon as you hit ~40fps, you probably don't want any more fps if you don't get the bang for your buck.

I'd really like to see how the efficiency of these benchmarks are changing over time. It's great to see huge numbers, but not when they come with an even higher penalty.

If you are on a desktop, this is not so much of a concern, but it is good to have an efficient system even there.

Comment

My T420 went from ~18 W to around 11 W when idling, changing from 11.10 to 12.04 b2. Its pretty awesome. I can now travel on the train without worrying about battery life.

Comment

Working...
        X