AMD Catalyst 7.12 Linux Driver -- The Baby's In Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i can't believe it

seems like _AMD_ is closing their GPU division, and making sure to sending ALL their loyal customers to _NVIDIA_

how can it be possible to allow a SUPERFAT/BIG bug like this widescreen one?

i'm starting to think that the urban legend about monkey coders working on _ATI_ _DRIVERS_ is true.

sorry my english... i can not express all my frustration in english (as you can see it is not my native language); but i feel REALLY upset. (megaencabronado) in spanish.

unfortunately i own a laptop, i'm stuck to ati.

thanks again _ATI_, you've done a GREAT job kicking away your customers.

Comment

This release seems to work alright for me. Suspend/Hibernate are finally working on Ubuntu/gutsy, so I'm happy.

On another note, it appears my laptop is subject to the 1680x1050 bug. The native resolution is 1920x1200, which works fine, but 1680x1050 (which used to show up) doesn't appear. I think I'm missing 1-2 other widescreen resolutions between 1920x1200 and 1280x1024.

Comment

Originally posted by gazrang View Post
        Even in 7.12, I still have slow page-scrolling in firefox with Compiz on(via AIGLX).
        I have an Xpress200m and X1600XT - the same slow scrolling problem on the both. It's even slower than 7.11.

Are they doing something? Or just changing digits in the version number?

Thanks Patreg - my lappy works fine with 1280x800

Comment

Originally posted by sid350 View Post
          I have an Xpress200m and X1600XT - the same slow scrolling problem on the both. It's even slower than 7.11.

Are they doing something? Or just changing digits in the version number?

Thanks Patreg - my lappy works fine with 1280x800

how've you done with that resolution???

Comment

I'm leaving ATI permanently. I've been a Linux user for two years, since Ubuntu Breezy Badger, and it is now the ONLY OS I'm running on my computer (Gutsy Gibbon). I have since bought a new computer and although the ATI proprietary drivers were not up to my expectations, I believed things could only improve, and I decided to install a X1600 PRO card in my new computer (this was more than a year ago). After the 7.12 release, that's it for me, NONE OF THE PROBLEMS I had were solved. I'm switching to NVIDIA.

Comment

BTW, why is the installer file version 8.443.1? Do they use random number generators for their releases?

Comment

Originally posted by enzobelmont View Post
                how've you done with that resolution???
                I've done nothing - it just works.
                And I can set it in amdcccle with no problems.

this is in my xorg.conf
                Section "Screen"
                SubSection "Display"
                Modes "1280x800"
                EndSection

Section "Device"
                Identifier "ATI Xpress 200m"
                Driver "fglrx"
                Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
                Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
                Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
                BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
                EndSection

so widescreen works on Samsung R40 laptop

Comment

Originally posted by thekidder View Post
                  This release seems to work alright for me. Suspend/Hibernate are finally working on Ubuntu/gutsy, so I'm happy.
                  7.12 has SLUB support? Can anyone else confirm?

To suspend or go blind, that is the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghnuberath View Post
                    7.12 has SLUB support? Can anyone else confirm?

To suspend or go blind, that is the question.
                    7.12 fails to suspend for me still under Gutsy. 7.11 suspended, but would not resume. 7.12 wll not make it even that far, for me (T60p). Note, 7.11 I had to do the PCI ID hack for my mobility FreGL.

Comment

Tried 7.12 on a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Mobility X300, 1680x1050 native-res LCD, Ubuntu Gutsy.

Fixed problem:
                      - Stand by and Hibernate finally both work with Gutsy!!! (survived 9 stand by's in a row)

New problems:
                      - VLC with OpenGL output crashes.
                      - 1680x1050 resolution gone missing here too. Using 1280x800 instead for now. Waiting for a hot-fix ASAP. Though I'm afraid we'll see it in a month.

Problems that are still not fixed:
                      - Diagonal tearing in videos in totem, xine, etc.
                      - Firefox scrolling with compiz is still pretty slow, even at 1280x800!
                      - Bad Compiz performance with any animation that requires a Firefox window to be activated/deactivated. E.g. when a Firefox window is active, right-clicking on the desktop to open a popup menu or initiating Expo. In these cases, usually I can only see at most 3-4 frames of the whole animation. These are compared to the open-source driver and pre-AIGLX fglrx with Xgl, which were both perfectly smooth on the same machine.

I hope they really hire more people for the linux driver development team, and do it soon, because the pace of improvement is so slow, especially compared to the speed they push out new hardware. I bet they have at least 10x more windows developers than linux developers.
                      Last edited by cornelius; 21 December 2007, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X