Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    1680 x 1050 is working for me with an Acer 22" LCD
    Seems from the "straw poll" on this site that the Mobility range is most affected (or maybe we're just the ones that have 1680x1050 as a resolution).

Is that resolution the native res of the Acer monitor? The release notes say that "Monitors which report 1680x1050" are affected... not all monitors that can acheive 1680x1050.

Comment

Yeah, but there's no reason why 1680x1050 or other widescreen resolutions should suddenly stop working. amdcccle thinks that the monitor is an analog one, while it's a Widescreen LCD (Westinghouse LCW-22w2), which has been out for over a year, so there's no reason why there shouldn't be support for it.

Comment

Lucky. As for me, the driver fails to report any wide screen resolutions on both my desktop (X1950XT) and laptop (200M). I'm using a 20" Viewsonic Q20wb with a native res. of 1680x1050 and it only goes up to 1600x1200; no other WS resolutions are present in the amdcccle or with xrandr (resolutions are specified in xorg.conf). Same deal with my laptop; native res. of 1280x768, yet no WS resolutions are being reported by amdcccle or xrandr.

Comment

Originally posted by ltmon View Post
          Is that resolution the native res of the Acer monitor? The release notes say that "Monitors which report 1680x1050" are affected... not all monitors that can acheive 1680x1050.
          Yes, native.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Also, note that I have a Radeon X1600, not a mobile GPU. I just don't understand why there has to be a regression in display res.

Comment

I've read now that the memory leakage is gone.

Now, what about xorg 7.3 compatiblity problems?
              Anyone is using xorg 7.3 + wine?

I remember I had problems to get almost enything running with wine. Neither 2d nor 3d applications worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
                I'm sick of this, it might be time to remove Linux.
                I already did. I use my laptop for work and play and the driver issues were a dealbreaker for me. Linux performed better for work (better compile times and less I/O bottlenecking), but not enough to offset the loss of functionality. I was hoping these drivers would fix the memory leak without introducing any new showstopper issues, 'cause I have some time off next week and I wanted to give Kubuntu a spin. I know there are other chipsets out there, but that doesn't help those of us whose money is already spent...

Comment

bah humbag...

Still no actual Legitimate Dual-head support.

This release makes nothing to make me change the opinion AMD should stop fglrx development and put more resources to releasing/creating opensource specs. And then start fglrx up again when thats done. It's going nowhere painfully slow. The "Known Issues" on the release notes grew like crazy.

How can you release it when there are more new known issues then resolved bugs.

Are monthly releases even worth it when you waste so much time packaging?

Comment

Originally posted by koolmanoncampus View Post
                    ... The "Known Issues" on the release notes grew like crazy.

How can you release it when there are more new known issues then resolved bugs.

Are monthly releases even worth it when you waste so much time packaging?

Most of those "known issues" were already recurring problems since the 8.42 release. I think they finally decided to update their list of bugs (God knows how many of them I reported on the mailing list).
                    Still, it seems like a good release, at least for me and what I use my chips for. The screen resolution issue is getting on my nerves thought.

Comment

Not Just widescreen...

The good thing is they added the Mobility FireGL support, so my T60p 'works' out of the box.

The bad, my 1400x1050 screen is now stuck at 1280x1024. Further bad, it won't sleep. Beyond that, compiz I can't get to work with AIGLX anymore. And they didn't fix the diagonal tearing pattern.

Congratulations, AMD/ATi, you *can't* seem to possibly manage a release that doesn't break things along the way... Being stuck at a non-native resolution and no suspending is incredibly bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X