AMD Catalyst 7.12 Linux Driver -- The Baby's In Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
    set into section device and gamma settings seem to work in apps that can adjust them. i don't know if this could be related. and what overlay are you currently using? give a try to the opengl overlay. maybe ET could not set it if it's on Xv overlay.
    I put the gamma correction lines in my xorg.conf and no change in gamma. How to do or find out about that overlay stuff?

Comment

• Originally posted by Melcar View Post
      Suspend/Hibernate never works for me, not even with these drivers. Computer goes to sleep but never comes back on, and when I try to hibernate the whole thing goes crazy on me. Not a real issue for me since I leave my desktop on all the time and never leave my laptop on for more than an hour. I'm back with the 7.11s since I can't stand the low resolutions. Shame; Nexuiz actually would run with the 8.443s.
      What do you use for hibernating?
      Try TuxOnIce 3.0rc3.

I had problems with previous version of TOI, but this works for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by kelnoky View Post
        I put the gamma correction lines in my xorg.conf and no change in gamma. How to do or find out about that overlay stuff?
        in SectionDevice of xorg.conf add:

Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
        Option "OpenglOverlay" "off"

this sets Xv overlay on and opengl overlay off. to turn on opengl instead set OpenglOverlay to on and the other to off. you can also set them both to off, but you cannot turn them on both.

Comment

• @givemesugar
          Ok, I'll try that. What are the differences and dis-/advantages?

Comment

• 7.12 and an X700 card

I have an MSI 64 bit laptop running Gutsy with all updates; has an X700 graphics card, 1280x800 resolution. I installed the 7.12 driver via:
            sudo apt-get install dkms
            sudo bash ati-driver-installer-8.443.1-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/gutsy
            Then installed the three debs, rebooted and all worked--dkms did its job. The nice thing is that suspend/hibernate and resume now WORK. So evidently, the SLUB vs SLAB problem has been worked over by AMD/ATI.

However, compiz does not work anymore. The output of compiz --replace is:
            Checking for Xgl: not present.
            Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 1002:5653 (prog-if 00 [VGA])
            Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
            Trying again with indirect rendering:
            Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
            Checking for non power of two support: present.
            Checking for Composite extension: present.
            Comparing resolution (1280x800) to maximum 3D texture size (204: Passed.
            Checking for nVidia: not present.
            Checking for FBConfig: present.
            Checking for Xgl: not present.
            /usr/bin/compiz: 378: /usr/local/bin/compiz: not found

At this point, metacity kicks in. I don't know the meaning of the /usr/bin/compiz: 378 line. I am not convinced that the new driver is screwing up compiz.

None the less, it is more important to me that suspend work on my laptop.

Comment

• givemesugar: I've tried all those suggestions. I used the additions to the xorg.conf. I downgraded/upgraded and did etc-update as you suggested. Nothing helped, I get the same error every time with 7.12.

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
                in SectionDevice of xorg.conf add:

Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
                Option "OpenglOverlay" "off"

this sets Xv overlay on and opengl overlay off. to turn on opengl instead set OpenglOverlay to on and the other to off. you can also set them both to off, but you cannot turn them on both.
                ET remains dark no matter what Overlay I turn on.

Comment

• great. it won't detect my 1280x768 widescreen laptop panel. max is 1024x768. argh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
                    givemesugar: I've tried all those suggestions. I used the additions to the xorg.conf. I downgraded/upgraded and did etc-update as you suggested. Nothing helped, I get the same error every time with 7.12.
                    that's really odd... on my gentoo pcs it works without problems. it installs (no more soname problem too) and works fine. try manually symlinking the /usr/X11 libglx.so to the one in the /usr/lib/opengl/ati/extension and restart xorg. also start the /etc/init.d/atieventsd service before doing that. and be sure that eselect opengl show returns ati as default opengl engine.
                    if you still have problems try asking in the catalyst 7.12 thread of the gentoo forums and we'll try to find out the problem there.

Comment

• Originally posted by seeker010 View Post
                      great. it won't detect my 1280x768 widescreen laptop panel. max is 1024x768. argh.
                      1280x768 isn't widescreen... 1280x800 is widescreen...

Comment

Working...
                      X