Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDMI Audio

Default HDMI Audio

Id like to know the current status of HDMI on Linux.
    For this, your card (or IGP) model number/manufacturer is needed + what driver you are using ++ the amount of channels you have.

Obviously for this test you need HDMI capable monitor + HDMI cable.

For example "core i3 hd3000, current opensource, 5 channels".

It seems that this information is very scarce. Is it true that only intel supports 5 channels within opensource drivers?

AFAIK current situation for proprietary drivers:
    fglrx - only stereo.
    nVidia - full-feature set, even TrueHD/DTS-HD MA bitstreaming.

Are you talking about the audio driver (separate driver, separate hardware block) or the graphics driver (which controls mixing the audio bitstream with the video stream) ?

In the case of fglrx I believe the graphics part is multichannel-capable but the audio driver is stereo-only.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Are you talking about the audio driver (separate driver, separate hardware block) or the graphics driver (which controls mixing the audio bitstream with the video stream) ?

In the case of fglrx I believe the graphics part is multichannel-capable but the audio driver is stereo-only.
    As far as I know (rumors, rumors) radeon opensource has only minimal HDMI support in 2.0.

When installing fglrx instead, can user access all audio channels via HDMI interface? Three examples:
    1 When I play multichannel film which I legally own, that was ripped for purpose of playback (because linux is prevented by hollywood to have those bits; I am not aware of any commercial solution) - yet I have the complete box on the shelf with disc with original - and I have fglrx, can I use HDMI to play all streams? (PS. This way seems to be legal in germany).

2 Im using my machine to make a party and I want to make area sound effects by having multiple boxes getting individual signals

3 When I am game and I would like surround gaming

Nothing to do with radeon or fglrx. We're talking about the audio driver here, not the graphics driver.

As Alex said, the register info we recently released should have all the bits required to blend multichannel audio into the HDMI video stream; the issue here is enabling multichannel in the audio driver.

So there is issue and all three cases are not possible? Or how can I understand this?
    Last edited by crazycheese; 04-08-2012 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    So there is issue and all three cases are not possible? Or how can I understand this?
    Linux user are fucked anyway this is what he wants to tell you.

He's saying they need someone with knowledge of both graphics cards and alsa, and they don't have any

Ok, this means more than 2 channel HDMI is not usable with amd hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Ok, this means more than 2 channel HDMI is not usable with amd hardware.
    and this means Im right up to 100%

don't believe the bridgman FUD!

bridgman only do his job in talking bullshit and distract the customers.

he gets money for this.