Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Continues On With Exynos DRM Development

Phoronix: Samsung Continues On With Exynos DRM Development

Samsung continues working on their open-source Linux graphics driver stack for their Exynos line of ARM-based SoCs. The Samsung developers' latest contribution is Exynos libdrm support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find it great to read this bits of news, but, is there any chance even so remotely, that samsung/texas instruments release any 3D bits for their SoC's?

On a side note, isn't the samsung SoC using a mali based GPU? If so, does the new opensource mali driver work with this samsung bit?

Comment

Android code being merged back upstreams to mainline Linux kernel.
      Samsung contributing open-source Exynos code.

I think maybe my next mobile phone will be a Samsung...

Comment

If Samsung had a phone that was as open/hackable as the Galaxy Nexus with a physical keyboard and screen (including use of the stylus for touching things that are too hard for fat fingers to touch) as good as a Nokia N900, that would be be the ideal candidate for my next phone when I eventually replace the N900.
        Even better if it had a GPU where the drivers (or at least everything but OpenGL) were open. (even better than that would be if the user-space library used to talk to the cellular baseband processor was open source but I know Samsung has valid reasons to keep that closed)

Comment

Working...
        X