Adobe Issues Final Linux Flash Player Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evolution View Post
    They've changed a lot of the "under the hood" options and hidden them more from the user (mainly the advanced options that disable most of Google "tracking" features)...
    Please provide examples or is this just the usual anti-Google FUD?

Comment

Yeah!

Yeah - rest in peace flash!

Comment

Chrome and Chromium are similar: That's not true. Chrome uses a patent encumbered PDF-reader (they could use OS poppler, for instance) and OC, patented Flash plugin. It's better to inform yourselves better before state what you said before...

Well, as an European citizen I'm concerned about how my data is treated and used outside EU. If Google guaranteed that my data was treated and used for services in EU/Portugal, I'd be much less concerned, but as Google treats your data outside EU (in the USA), I don't know how is it controlled; Sorry, but if you disagree, deal with it...

Furthermore, when I can't search something in duckduckgo, I search it on Google (I'm not Google paranoid, my friends), but using tracking cookies that track your browser activity while you surf, for me is not ethical... There are better options...

All in all, the main reason that made me switch from Chrome to Opera/Firefox was really the fact I had a Google Account and I disagreed with the ToS.... So now, I only use Google when I need...

Cheers

p.s.: That's my point of view. Fell free to agree/disagree with it...
        Last edited by evolution; 01 April 2012, 02:07 PM. Reason: missing text

Comment

Chrome and Chromium are similar: That's not true. Chrome uses a patent encumbered PDF-reader (they could use OS poppler, for instance)
          Wait what, patent-encumbered? Can you provide a link about that? Is "proprietary" the word you mean, that would make more sense.
          Also, it isn't part of the Chrome browser, it is a plugin. And as such it works perfectly with Chromium too.

and OC, patented Flash plugin.
          Again with the patented? What's patented about it? Beyond the stuff that's in the regular plugin too, that is, like the h264 decoder. It uses Pepper, which is an API on top of NaCl. That's it.
          Oh, and just like with the PDF reader, PepperFlash also works perfectly in Chromium.

It's better to inform yourselves better before state what you said before...
          It seems to me I'm better informed than you are, so you should follow your own advice here.

All in all, the main reason that made me switch from Chrome to Opera/Firefox was really the fact I had a Google Account and I disagreed with the ToS.... So now, I only use Google when I need...
          I can only repeat again, this makes no sense. The ToS is completely separate from the browser. You could've dropped the account but continued to use Chrome, from the tracking perspective the browser makes no difference.
          Last edited by Gusar; 01 April 2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
            Flash didn't need to thrive on Linux, the status quo we had was sufficient.

You have a very simple view of the world.

Linux is not Adobe's enemy and certainly not their main enemy. Neither the free Flash implementations nor Gimp are a real threat to Adobe products. When I read statements such as yours, I wonder if you ever had to pay your own rent or even had a real job. Adobe is just a company which tries to make money. Selling their products is the only way to make money, because support-based business models just don't work with the products Adobe offers. Noone would buy support for their creative suite.
            I was talking about Micro$oft not Adobe.

As for your sideswipe about rent and jobs, well let's put it this way - I'm in my 50s with two ex-wives and two grown-up children, and I run my own business. You are right about there being a world of difference between our respective life experiences tho ...

Comment

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
              I was talking about Micro$oft not Adobe.
              That doesn't really change anything.

I'm in my 50s with two ex-wives and two grown-up children, ...
              Your blind hate towards Microsoft and the way you post, makes me doubt that. But I could not care less.

...and I run my own business.
              Then I certainly hope that you don't get your customers "tied and dependent like crack whores" and make them "pay through the nose for each new "advance"" of your product/service. Otherwise you would not be much better than the company you hate so much.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Linux doesn't play mp3 files unless you buy a licensed decoder or grab one illegally.
                Fluendo paid for an MP3 license and provides a GStreamer mp3 decoder for free (gratis), if you want.
                The leading provider of Multimedia Solutions: Codecs, Players and Video Analysis Software based on GStreamer.

The leading provider of Multimedia Solutions: Codecs, Players and Video Analysis Software based on GStreamer.

It's also packaged in Canonical's "partner" repository for Ubuntu.

(And the source code is available too, but unfortunately the MP3 patent owners only want to license binaries.)

Comment

To my new friend Temar

Haha - maybe time to stop digging tho.

Comment

c) Maybe you should look at the SRWare Iron vs Chromium comparison before shouting at me in a public forum...
                    SRWare Iron is a scam so good luck with using it because of privacy issues with Google Chrome.

Comment

SWF White Paper

Has there been any word on the promised update to the Flash white paper? I'm ready to be done with Adobe Flash, but my wife still uses Hulu and Pandora. If Lightspark or Gnash would be able to support those sites I would ditch Adobe altogether. Is it realistic to hope that this could happen by the end of the year, assuming Adobe does release said documentation?

Comment

Working...
                      X